Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was stolen by upwork

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

1) So why they cannot tell me which is this case?

2. What are you suggesting with "dodgy"? Are you suggesting I am kind of delincuent trying to take benefit from an online platform?
3) I did not add manually work, i recorded using the app as I have done many times.

1.  No idea

2. No, I am not suggesting that you are dodgy, but that what you tried to do must have looked super suspicious to Upwork. Someone with a history of $ 20 to $ 30 an hour contracts being hired at $ 720 an hour will instantly have sent  out automated fraud-alerts.  At such an hourly rate you could (theoretically) create thousands of Dollars of earnings in a matter of a few hours. That could open up the danger of a client using a stolen credit card or money laundering and all sorts of horrible things. People don't have a rate increase of 2000% overnight.... Surely you must see that this looked odd? Is the client a new client? Whose idea was this? (With the hourly contract at $ 720)

3. You have never before successfully logged time at an hourly rate of $ 720.....

When did you log that hour?

Take a deep breath and ask the client to clarify that the money has been returned, and to please pay as a bonus payment.

Marcela M Member Since: May 8, 2019
12 of 44

I am honest!!! Can't colombian people be also honest and hardworking? Why does people do not even check if I am really laundrying money??? So just one day for another I decide changing multiphysics simulation for being a delincuent?? That have never been on my plans, even if worlwide people still thinking we are all delincuents in Latin America. I have helped people worldwide with scientific problems, I am hard worker and honest person, and I an not new in upwork, and I have conversations and files proving that I earned that money. But no, upwork just thought " the latin girls is trying to laundry money".. they did not even see the conversations with the clients, just retuned the money to them. If I were them, I would be happy I had a stupid woman doing the work for me, and even if I paid they gave my money back...round business!
Of course they must be happy and busy with their lives, they got their job done for free

Community Guru
13 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

I am honest!!! Can't colombian people be also honest and hardworking? Why does people do not even check if I am really laundrying money??? So just one day for another I decide changing multiphysics simulation for being a delincuent??

NOOOO. Nobody said anything of the sort. If Upwork thought you're doing anything bad, your account would have been suspended...

But this was clearly not a "normal" contract. Or a normal transaction. Or a normal client.

So it would have been looked into, and chances are that during that "looking into" something was found that didn't look right. Likely on the client side.

Once again:

1. What day did you log the time?
  2. What day did it all go wrong?
  3. Whose idea was that $ 720 an hour contract format? Yours or the client's?
  4. Have you asked the client to pay again as a bonus payment?
  5. Are you still communicating with the client?

14 of 44

Ok, Here are all the files probing I began talking to this client on Friday May 3th. I worked for 2 days long and then when it was ready He contracted me, I imagine that just like me, he did not think this would represent a problem, less if we have a long conversation with files to probe we were working together. But nop, upwork just give them back the money!!!

15 of 44

:'( I hard worked. Now I am very depressed to keep working with no guarantees :'(. I really feel destroid, I really needed and worked that money

**Edited for community guidelines**

Community Guru
16 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

Ok, Here are all the files probing I began talking to this client on Friday May 3th. I worked for 2 days long and then when it was ready He contracted me, I imagine that just like me, he did not think this would represent a problem, less if we have a long conversation with files to probe we were working together. But nop, upwork just give them back the money!!!

Can you calm the hell down. It doesn't matter what proves long conversations. All that matters is what happened when. Can you answer the questions I have now asked over and over again.

WHEN did you log the hour

WHEN did Upwork reverse the payment

Upwork almost certainly didn't "give them the money back" because it was almost certainly either not their money, or they never paid it to Upwork in the first place.

To help answer that I need to know WHEN  you logged the hour and WHEN Upwork reversed the payment.

17 of 44

Thank you, is difficult to calm down when you get sicked for a job with no refund.

I tracked the hour Sunday May 7, they took from me Sunday May 7

18 of 44

Thank you, is difficult to calm down when you get sicked for a job with no refund.
I tracked the hour Sunday May 7, they took from me Sunday May 7

Community Guru
19 of 44

OK, from your screenshots it is perfectly obvious that the "client" is a fraudster.

They deliberately pushed to get the work on the weekend on an hourly basis (hence the large hourly rate)

They are no more in Germany than you are and basically what happened is that their payment method declined.

Upwork did not give them their money back, there was never any money in the first place.

20 of 44

So, evertything is my fault, yes, I already had concluded that like 3 messages before, thank you!
What I do not understand is:
1. Why upwork cannot just simply confirm what you are saying? What are they scared of? WHen somebody in upworks tells me this was fault from the client side I will not disturb anymore, but they insist in hiding information.
2. Why do they allow this kind of thing to happen?? Why do not verify clients budget before they cheat stupid freelancers like me?. Why cannot retain the money? why waiting for the fraud?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS