Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was stolen by upwork

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

2. Why do they allow this kind of thing to happen?? Why do not verify clients budget before they cheat stupid freelancers like me?. Why cannot retain the money? why waiting for the fraud?

They do. You let the client trick you into using a workaround that avoided this. If you had set up an hourly contract properly, when you started working, you would have seen a very clear warning not to start working until your client's payment method was verified. 

Marcela M Member Since: May 8, 2019
22 of 44

And sorry if I do not recognize and "obvious fraudant", sorry for being so stupid in trusting people! I thought we were the rats

Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
23 of 44

Petra R wrote:

Marcela M wrote:

1) So why they cannot tell me which is this case?

2. What are you suggesting with "dodgy"? Are you suggesting I am kind of delincuent trying to take benefit from an online platform?
3) I did not add manually work, i recorded using the app as I have done many times.

1.  No idea

2. No, I am not suggesting that you are dodgy, but that what you tried to do must have looked super suspicious to Upwork. Someone with a history of $ 20 to $ 30 an hour contracts being hired at $ 720 an hour will instantly have sent  out automated fraud-alerts.  At such an hourly rate you could (theoretically) create thousands of Dollars of earnings in a matter of a few hours. That could open up the danger of a client using a stolen credit card or money laundering and all sorts of horrible things. People don't have a rate increase of 2000% overnight.... Surely you must see that this looked odd? Is the client a new client? Whose idea was this? (With the hourly contract at $ 720)

3. You have never before successfully logged time at an hourly rate of $ 720.....

When did you log that hour?

Take a deep breath and ask the client to clarify that the money has been returned, and to please pay as a bonus payment.

I did not think about this possibility, but it's certainly an excellent point. That's why alarms bells went off. So my thinking about this is out (#4)

We know that for you to take a deep breath, is not easy, because is your money, no matter the amount, is your work's value, but with more context to the situation, you'll get the help you need to understand the situation.

About the client, have you talked to him, is he responding to you, is he account still good?

Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
24 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

OK, it was like this. 
The client needed a program made using assembly language (which is very specific and complicated). He needed to be sure the task was working on a hard deadline. This was a job that you suceed or not. That is why not until I succeed he officially contract me in upwork. We defined I was going to receive 600USD, so they paid that hour at 740USD, so after upwork taking 140, I will have my 600. I reported the hour, as I have done many times. I cannot understand why they just pick my hour to be as "fraudulent". According to the client, they just did the pay, and that is why I doubt so much on upwork. It looks like they saw a high rated hour and just say is not valid, and did not even check I was chating with this client for around 24 hours with no stopping. I was not laughing with him, I WAS WORKING ALL NIGHT!!!!!. I have the conversation to probe it.
Also, when I ask upwork people to tell me if my client was indeed a fraud, they reply "we cannot give details to protect privacy". How can they prefer protect the privacy of someone that is supposed to be a fraud?. Anyway, I am nos asking for details, I am just want them to assure me that it was a fraudulent transaction from the clients side, or just a whim of upwork to do not let me get what I earned!

Since my point of view, there are many things that could have lead to a disaster.

1) You mixed hourly with fixed-price (this kind of mix will no end well)

2) If you worked with a delivery you should have worked with fixed-price only, with the whole amount funded (and payment method verify) and only request payment upon completion, I think this could have ended well.

3) It looks like you inputted that hour manually, no covered by Upwork protection, so if the client dispute, he will win by default, every time, that's on you, not UpWork.

4) Manual hours are paid in the same way normal hours are paid too (within limit), as long as the client doesn't dispute. Again, if the client disputes manual hours, he wins.

4) You mentioned the only hour you added was "fraudulent" because is too high, I don't think this might be, but I could be wrong, let's wait for others to comment, but I think that as long as the client is willing to pay that amount I don't see the problem.

5) But if the client is serious he still can pay you thru bonus.

6) Finally, just to give more context, give us more info of the client per se: Dated he joined, how much had he spend, % hide rate, etc, 

7) I will treat whatever the client says with a grain of salt, but that's just me.

25 of 44

Hello, thanks for your reply

1) and 2)
Yes, you are right. Nevertheless I still would like to know if the client is the fraud or upwork just decide to give him the money back.

3) Ihave never added manually time in upwork.

4) Manual hours are paid in the same way normal hours are paid too (within limit), as long as the client doesn't dispute. Again, if the client disputes manual hours, he wins.
The client did not dispute anything as long as I know, and again, it was not added manualy

4) You mentioned the only hour you added was "fraudulent" because is too high, I don't think this might be, but I could be wrong, let's wait for others to comment, but I think that as long as the client is willing to pay that amount I don't see the problem.
YES!!! I expected that too. What is the problem if He paid?? It looks to me that they thought this was a fraudeulent job, which really offends me as I am old using the application and I have more than 16 jobs with a 100% job succes. I am not here to do ilegal transactions, just to work! also, I have the conversations and files I sent to the client to probe this is nothing bad what I did! I was working and they just gave the money back to the client. Of course, he must be very happy he got his complicated job done for free!!!

5) But if the client is serious he still can pay you thru bonus.
I do not know what to think about the client, as upwork still avoiding my question: was the client a fraud or they just considered it was not a legal transaction?. Their actitude makes me think that they just took my job as non-trustable (no matters if I have been working with them so long with good reputation).

6) Finally, just to give more context, give us more info of the client per se: Dated he joined, how much had he spend, % hide rate, etc,
I attach an image

7) I will treat whatever the client says with a grain of salt, but that's just me.
I still do not know who is responsible of this, Upwork or the client, but you are right again

Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
26 of 44

Was the job already completed before the contract started? What were you doing during the one hour you logged with the tracker?

27 of 44

Yes I completed before Smiley Sad and what I did while the hour was tracked was finally breathing and eating somethig. It really was a demanding job :'( that is why it hurts that much. I literally got sick because of it :'(. And no refund, no explanation, extremelly frustrating.
Nevertheless, I have probes of my conversations with him, that we shared files, all we did it using upwork, why couldn't they just check my conversations and file sharing with the client?. They just gave them the moeny back. Of course they are happy now, and they do not reply anymore :'(

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
28 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

why couldn't they just check my conversations and file sharing with the client?. They just gave them the moeny back. Of course they are happy now, and they do not reply anymore :'(

Chances are that was either never "their" money in the first place or they never paid it and that is why they are not replying anymore.

When (day!!) did you log the time and when (day) did Upwork reverse the funds?

Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
29 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

Yes I completed before Smiley Sad and what I did while the hour was tracked was finally breathing and eating somethig.

So you didn't qualify for payment protection because you didn't have useful screenshots. This thread is a mess.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
30 of 44

Looking at your screenshot I am not surprised it was deemed a risky transaction.

The client was brand new,  the country, timezone and contact name don't necessarily fit, and hired someone at an hourly rate that is like 30 times higher than normal.

If I was sitting in Upwork's Risk Management Department I'd have had a heart attack too at that sight...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS