cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was stolen by upwork

Marcela M Member Since: May 8, 2019
31 of 44

DEAR UPWORK COMMUNITY,

Thanks for your time, it is very clear for me that you also take me as the bad person and even as a delincuent in this situation. It was completely my fault to have been cheated with 600UDS. It was completely my fault to be hardworking and do this complicated job expecting a reward. It is completely my fauls then, nothing I can do. I will have to begin looking people in the world different, just as they see me. 

Kind regards

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
32 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

DEAR UPWORK COMMUNITY,

Thanks for your time, it is very clear for me that you also take me as the bad person and even as a delincuent in this situation. It was completely my fault to have been cheated with 600UDS. It was completely my fault to be hardworking and do this complicated job expecting a reward. It is completely my fauls then, nothing I can do. I will have to begin looking people in the world different, just as they see me. 

Kind regards

Marcela,

I have read through this thread and the only person saying something negative about you were you. Everybody was trying to help you understand what is going on. No one accused you of any wrongdoing. Try do find a solution with the client like a bonus but do not accuse other freelancers, that spend their valuable time trying to help you, of calling you a criminal.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
33 of 44

Marcela - First of all, Upwork didn't take your money. They never even had your money. Escrow is not used on hourly jobs, Upwork bills the client directly by taking out what's owed from the client's financial account. For hourly contracts, seven things must be adhered to in order for you to get paid. If you adhere to that, Upwork will pay you out of their own pocket. 

1. Before starting work, you MUST be offered a contract which you can accept or decline. Were you offered a contract on this site? (A client saying, "you're hired" does not constitute a contract.)

2. A clients account MUST be verified. Was the clients account verified before you started work - Did it show as verified? (Do not start working until you see that the account is verified.)

3. You Must use Tracker to record the actual work you are doing. Did you use Tracker WHILE you were actually working on the project?  (manual hours, or screen shots showing you were doing something else other then actual working will not be counted.)

4. You Must type in notes on the screen shots Tracker takes. Did you type on notes on what you were doing on the screen shots?

5. You must have normal, reasonable keystroke activity. Did you just let the tracker run for an hour without doing the work, or have very low or very high keystroke activity during that hour? (No or very low keystrokes can and will be interpreted as not working. High activity might mean you were using some sort of keystroke logger program.)

Take a deep breath because I am NOT accusing you of anything, I am just pointing out what must be done in order to be paid. If you answered NO to just one of the 5 things above, then THAT is the reason you were not paid. 

34 of 44

Hello people

I know I was stupid, I always had good experiences before. I will never trust anyone again in my life. But now I am concerned, I think he is trying to cheat some one else!!! even he just offered me a new job! What can we do to get this person? He is now under the name **Edited for community guidelines** , also from Germany and non-verified. The one who cheated me was under the name **Edited for community guidelines**. I do not think this is coincidence, do you???. WHat can be done so possible other super stupid freelancers like me do not fall in this trap?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
35 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

I think he is trying to cheat some one else!!! even he just offered me a new job!

click on "flag as inappropriate" immediately and explain details

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
36 of 44

Hi Marcela,

Thanks for flagging this for us. I already filed a report for our team's review and we will take action as per our internal processes. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
37 of 44

Hello Community,

Thank you all for your comments. I feel extremely stupid, and actually that is just what I am. I wish I never shared this self-causing bad experience, Now all of you know which is the worst, most stupid freelancer in all the community. Hope you are not laughing too much.

If there is a way to delete this post, please let me know... :'(

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
38 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

Hello Community,

Now all of you know which is the worst, most stupid freelancer in all the community.

Nice try Marcella, but I'm sorry, the title of the most stupid freelancer in all the community is already taken. You may try next year, but competition is harsh.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
39 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

Hello Community,

Thank you all for your comments. I feel extremely stupid, and actually that is just what I am. I wish I never shared this self-causing bad experience, Now all of you know which is the worst, most stupid freelancer in all the community. Hope you are not laughing too much.

Don't be so hard on yourself. These kind things happen. As long as you use the system correctly you can work safely.

Now that you have shared this case, you got all the info about what really happens, and of course how to avoid that again in the future, and warned (if anyone cares to read) others freelancers not to fall for it.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
40 of 44

Marcela M wrote:

Hello Community,

Marcela, unfortunately it's quite common for freelancers to make this type of mistake. Mostly, it happens because people are so eager to start making money that they skip reading the rules and learning how Upwork works. You're far from alone in having been taken advantage of by an unscrupulous client, and many other freelancers who have made this type of mistake have learned from it and gone on to be successful here.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS