cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will be offline for two weeks; will my JS score be affected?

Ace Contributor
Maria C Member Since: Feb 3, 2015
1 of 14
Hi!

For family reasons I must travel abroad to a remote farm in Colombia (without internet) and stay there for two weeks. Besides informing my long term clients that I will be offline and setting my profile as private, what else should I do to assure my JS score won’t be affected during my absence?

Also, I don’t want to lose my Top Rated badge, now I feel very insecure about traveling, and it shouldn’t be that way. The reason why I signed up in oDesk was precisely to have freedom to move and travel. Sigh. Smiley Indifferent
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 14

I ask a similar question awhile ago as I don't want more work. One thing to make sure if you set a date you are available when you set yourself to private. I was told it won't make any difference, but I am working so I am not sure how it will affect you if you are not available a couple weeks.

I really think they need a vacation mode for when we do go on vacation or we are going to be gone a couple weeks.

Ace Contributor
Maria C Member Since: Feb 3, 2015
3 of 14

Thank you Suzanne, I totally agree with you, there should be a "vacation" option, after all we are FREElancers... and if my clients have no problem with me taking a little break, why should oDesk have it?

Cancelling my trip is not even an option, so I will have to wait and see what happens, so scary, I won't be able to enjoy my break. Not fair...

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
4 of 14

I'll have to go to hospital in 6th month, and I also feel very insecure. 

5 of 14
Vesna, Is your hospital stay going to be long? (I hope you are well)

Anyway, the argument I have read in other threads that the JS score changes due to factors occurring 12 o 24 months ago doesn't apply in my case, because I have only been around for five months. So, I know for sure that any change (up or down) is related to my current activity. I will go to my trip and come back, crossing fingers, knocking on wood, praying to God. This is very important to me since oDesk is my solely source of income at the moment. (By the way, one of my clients turned into a long term contract and guess what? It had no impact whatsoever in my job succes score)

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
6 of 14

@Maria C wrote:
Vesna, Is your hospital stay going to be long? (I hope you are well)

Yes, I'm ok. 

I should stay only 2-3 days, but with these things you are never sure. I could end up 1-2 weeks. I'm actually not happy that I'll have to also inform those clients that are idle for months. But I have to because they usually suddenly appear with new tasks that are always urgent.

7 of 14

Hi Maria,

As long as you set your status as unavailable or make your profile private, even if you receive any invitations during your vacation, it will not affect your score. And of course it's important to notify your current clients about your time off, but it sounds like you have already taken care of that.

Enjoy your vacation!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
8 of 14
This is good to hear Valeria, but I thought setting your profile to private and status as unavailable would prevent and incoming invitations? That seems to be the function.

Also what about the actual time of inactivity, does this affect overall performance?
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
9 of 14

@Setu M wrote:
This is good to hear Valeria, but I thought setting your profile to private and status as unavailable would prevent and incoming invitations? That seems to be the function.

Also what about the actual time of inactivity, does this affect overall performance?

Setu,

That is the purpose of setting to private. You would not want invitations if on vacation or in the hospital, or in my case I have enough work already. Also setting a date when available again seems to prevent any shifts in your JS. I have had mine set to private and not available till 1/2016 and it may be before then or not at all and I may have to change it then as I have long term clients. 

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
10 of 14

@Suzanne N wrote:
Setu,

That is the purpose of setting to private. You would not want invitations if on vacation or in the hospital, or in my case I have enough work already. Also setting a date when available again seems to prevent any shifts in your JS. I have had mine set to private and not available till 1/2016 and it may be before then or not at all and I may have to change it then as I have long term clients. 

So do you get any invitations then Suzanne? That is what I wanted to know. Valeria's answer seems to indicate that it is possible even with the particular settings.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS