🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I worked with BAD client!! and left me 1 ...
Page options
amryassen
Community Member

I worked with BAD client!! and left me 1 star feedback, what should I do?

Hello,

We agreed on 60/hr and was happy with results then everything changed I don't know why! then he closed the contract without telling me. 

Should I give him his money back? If I do that will this feedback removed from my profile? and will not affect my JSS or not? If my JSS drop, how can I calculate it?

Any advice on this situation? 

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Amr Y wrote:

Should I give him his money back? If I do that will this feedback removed from my profile? and will not affect my JSS or not? If my JSS drop, how can I calculate it?

If you refund, the feedback will not show on your profile, but the impact on your JSS remains.

You will take a hit on your JSS anyway, so you might as well keep your money.

If the clients go through my profile, will check this feedback and it will impact not hiring me, right?

paweljacyk
Community Member

Hi Amr, 

I actually had very similar situation. One of my contract was ended by a client suddenly and I could not reach the client. I though he was unhappy, and I refunded the money. This was a mistake as actually he gave me positive feedback, paid for the job. But because of the refund JSS worked against me and got some % deducted. Upwork though the refund was due to the fact that I actually did not perform the job.

Dont refund, try to reach client and ask for a reason for closing the contract. If you have difficulties reaching contact Upwork support.

I can't really reach to this guys, I open a new ticket and messaged the support about this issue. Ok I'll not refund 

Thank you for your advice

Pawel J wrote:

I thought he was unhappy, and I refunded the money. This was a mistake as actually he gave me positive feedback, paid for the job. But because of the refund JSS worked against me and got some % deducted.

Nope, that is not what happened. Refunds actually (by themselves) have absolutely no effect on your JSS.

A nothing paid contract with good feedback does not hurt your JSS, only a nothing paid contract with no or poor feedback.

Thanks Petra. Ok, I was told differently by the support. Anyway, I actually done my job, and got paid, and similarly it got closed suddenly.

Amr,

I can't see a one-star feedback on your profile. Did you in fact, refund the client? 

No - The money still on 'work on progress' and he ended the contract, the contract not shown yet in profile. I think money need to be in review so It can be shown there.

Amr:

A few points:

You are here to earn money, not stars.

So when you talk about a client who claimed to like your work, and then he closes the contract with a one-star rating... it sounds like the client is trying to do something underhanded.

You should keep the money you earned.

You need to understand your situation in context: You have completed 55 jobs! You have a solid track record. So when clients see one bad feedback (one star!) I think most of them will understand that you were dealing with a dishonest client.

Let's think about this:

Did that client ACTUALLY consider each of the different qualities that go into creating a total star average score? Was your "communication" ACTUALLY so bad that it deserves 1 star out of 5? AND your availability was ACTUALLY so bad that it deserved 1 start out of 5? And so on, across the board?

No, obviously not. So we know we are not dealing with an honest client. We know somebody is just trying to get work for free.

Preston H wrote:

So when you talk about a client for whom you worked 60 hours,

It was $ 60 per hour. Not 60 hours

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths