🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I would like to report a scammer
Page options
sarahjrogers
Community Member

I would like to report a scammer

I answered a job post and was contacted and asked for my phone number. The person proceded to offer me a job and wanted to send me money to buy him equipment and also other administrative tasks. He stated he would need to pay me outside of Upwork. I stated that I would not be able to receive payment outside of Upwork as that can get me banned from future use. He then proceded to ask me if I had credit card and do I have any debt on it. I would like to report the user as well as the job post.

Thank you,

Sarah Rogers

5 REPLIES 5
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Go to the job post.  On the right side, flag it and give detailed information as to why you flagged it.

Thank you. I flagged both posts that contacted me and asked to pay outside of Upwork. I also took screenshots of all contact.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Thanks for reporting, Sarah. I'll also follow up on your report with the team and we'll make sure action is taken against the job and the account. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you. I appreciate the support on the matter. I also was contacted again today by another person only willing to pay outside of Upwork. I flagged both as inappropiate and took screenshots of all communication. Both times I was asked to speak outside of Upwork. Should we not speak outside of the site? I am new and not quite so sure how this works. If we are hired by a person do we only speak through Upwork?

Hi Sarah, 

Users are allowed to communicate outside of Upwork, provided both users agree and share their contact information with each other. However, its best to submit all work and contract negotiations through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members