Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID Verification?

Community Guru
Ines H Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
1 of 14

Hello,

I just received a message from Upwork that I need to submit documents to verify my ID.

I passed the video verification about two months ago and thought that out of these two types of verification, one will suffice. (The video verification seemed too simple, though, they only asked for my address.)

Has anyone else had to verify twice?

I'm just unsure if this is a legit request or if something got messed up as part of the issues Upwork has been having lately. Maybe my verification from two months ago somehow got lost?

Honestly, I'd be pleasantly surprised if freelancers indeed needed to verify twice, and I also like the fact that this one doesn't put my account on immediate hold (I have 5 days to reply).

Cheers,
Ines

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 14

Hi Ines,

The most recent ID verification request is related to your Upwork Premium Programs application and is different from the profile video verification you completed in February. Upwork Premium Programs sometimes involve additional compliance requirements and assessments. Sorry about the inconvenience.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Community Guru
3 of 14

Oh I see - thanks for the reply, Valeria!

It's not an inconvenience at all, I fully support verification requests.

Cheers,
Ines

Vanja P Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
4 of 14

I also had video verification of my account few months ago and last year I also had some kind of verification and now there is ID verification. I support that but why putting account on hold and for 3 days? I feel like a criminal:-)

Are there going to be some more verifications? Are you going to check all accounts? 

I get it that this is for premium program with IDs, but I'm just checking as it is happening every once in a while.

Thanks! Regards!

Community Guru
5 of 14

Hi Vanja,

Your account was put on hold for ID verification? If yes, that's strange, because mine wasn't.

For video verification, it was put on hold (I couldn't apply for jobs), but for ID verification (submitting ID copies) I just needed to reply within 5 days. I could still fully use my account.

If you can't apply for jobs until your ID verification is done, then that's not cool. I'd follow up with support if you're not verified within 24 hours.

Cheers,
Ines

6 of 14

Hi Vanja,

If you've completed your video verification, you won't need to do that again in the future. ID verification can still be necessary in the future for various reasons. You can find more information about it here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Viacheslav S Member Since: May 11, 2017
7 of 14

Why Upwork suspends the account while ID Verification is in progress?

"A member of our team will be reviewing your submitted documents and you will get an answer in 3–4 business days."

This is so frustrating.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 14

Hi Viacheslav,

I'm sorry about the hold placed on your account. Please note that our team followed our internal guidelines for processing identity verification requests and freelancers usually receive an update before the quoted timeline for reviewing documents.

Loh N Member Since: Oct 9, 2017
9 of 14

Hi, I just moved to the States and have only green card for the moment. I didn't know that ID has to be unedited, and I failed 3 times. i can't send any proposals now. Don't know what's next? 

10 of 14

Hi Loh,

Unfortunately, a green card can't be accepted as an ID for location verification at the moment. Only a valid state ID, a driver's license or a US passport can be accepted.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS