🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » ID verification of US based business having n...
Page options
viragshah100
Community Member

ID verification of US based business having non citizens

Hi. 

I am a CPA having following IDs to offer for verification - 

1. Indian passport with valid US visa

2. Indian driving license

3. My corporation's incorporation and bank statement (Wyoming)

I want to know how do I complete ID verification. I also need to know what jobs will I be able to take up if I don't qualify for USonly jobs. 

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

Virag:

Thank you for your question.

Upwork does not actually look at what countries you have visas for or where you have incorporated.

The "location" field on a freelancer's profile is based on where the freelancer physically lives.

So if you live in Cheynne, Wyoming... then yes, you an complete your identity verification based on that location and you can apply to U.S.-only jobs. But if you have simply filed articles of incorporation with the state of Wyoming... that doesn't count for your Upwork freelancer profile.

How do I select that on my profile?

re: "How do I select that on my profile?"

You will need to work through Upwork Customer Support.

Or a Forum Moderator will help you. You should wait and see if a Moderator helps you today.

Virag S wrote:

How do I select that on my profile?

Are you currently physically living in the USA and can prove that? 

Unless you are actually, really, physically living and entitled to work in the USA, don't even think about changing it on your profile unless you wish to be suspended.

I think it's quite clear that you are not and that you do not live in the USA, so it is really unfortunate that you are encouraged to try and pull a stunt that will result in you being kicked off the platform.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Virag,

Your Country should reflect the one you're physically located in and can verify it. Please, let us know which country would you like to reflect on your account as your location. We’d be happy to update it for you. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Have changed to home country. Thanks
04ec7ac7
Community Member

Hi there,

I am a US citizen and my wife is a legal permanent resident from Cuba. She has not received her green card or social security card in the mail. But her CR-1 visa is a temporary green card according to US Immigration. We should have it within a month or so, but I wanted to know if she could start working under my company name and TAX ID. Which is all legal in the United States. I don't want her to have any problems with getting paid because of this. Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Chaz

Hi Chaz,

Each freelancer must have their own unique account on Upwork. Also, each freelancer is responsible for complying with the rules and regulations in their own jurisdiction/situation. You may wish to consult with a local advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax or legal advice.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members