Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMO: JSS

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
41 of 54

Janean, in between laughing and agreeing w/ your 'crazy FBI guy' comments ... I have to be serious for a moment.

You've highlighted what is possibly the worst aspect of the magical, mystical, and possibly mythical algorithms.

They can not take into account personalities - or personality disorders.  Therefore, the algorithms are inherently unreliable.

The ability to delete client feedback only compounds the problem and makes Upwork less than transparent for all users.  But that's a tirade I've been on before -

..... and for even the mention of it, I can promise you a few providers will begin squawking.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
42 of 54

@Wendy C wrote:

Janean, in between laughing and agreeing w/ your 'crazy FBI guy' comments ... I have to be serious for a moment.

You've highlighted what is possibly the worst aspect of the magical, mystical, and possibly mythical algorithms.

They can not take into account personalities - or personality disorders.  Therefore, the algorithms are inherently unreliable.

The ability to delete client feedback only compounds the problem and makes Upwork less than transparent for all users.  But that's a tirade I've been on before -

..... and for even the mention of it, I can promise you a few providers will begin squawking.

Yes!

I've stated this many times to CS.

Not everyone's crazy is detectable right away when assessing from a digital distance.

Smiley Sad

e_milosevski
Elizabeta M Member Since: Jun 4, 2016
43 of 54

Is the Client who would recommend you stats based SOLELY on the private feedback, or are there any other factors that influence it? I am asking because last night I noticed it had dropped significantly - from 100% to 91%. In the meantime, a client left a 5-star public feedback and hired me again, plus we're discussing a new job, so I can hardly believe he left poor private feedback. Was the drop in RR due to this one low private feedback? 

(I didn't sleep much last night, really worried. My JSS dropped from 100% to 95% on the last update because of a couple of inactive contracts - I know this because I hadn't had any new jobs opened or closed in between the two updates. This rather low RR could easily be the final nail in my Top Rated status coffin if my guesses are correct).

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
44 of 54

Hi Elizabeta,

I can confirm the recommend score is based solely on the private rating clients leave. I also see you had a few contracts closed recently. In order to maintain and improve your score, which is not bad at all, I would advise you to focus on delivering great work to your existing and new clients, and close any open contract without activity.

Untitled
itslatin
Seva L Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
45 of 54

I have several, if not many idle contracts, its just usually in my case once the job is done, clients think they might need my services in the future so they keep the contract open, in reality though I rarely hear from them. I do reach out to them occasionaly but hear nothing back. So the contracts are there, paused for months.

I know I've delivered a good job, but I'm just afraid if I close the contract myself as this will sink my JSS as it once did long time ago, but I do remember that fact. I've also read that its not advisable to mark the contracts complete from the freelancer side. So whats the best advice here?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
46 of 54

Hi Seva,

If you reached out to the clients but didn't hear back for a while, you can go ahead and close the contract yourself. You closing the contract is not going to affect your JSS negatively. If the client doesn't leave their feedback it may affect your JSS but only if you have a pattern of contracts without feedback. If most of your contracts still have good feedback from clients, your JSS should be fine.

~ Valeria
Upwork
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
47 of 54

@Elizabeta M wrote:

Is the Client who would recommend you stats based SOLELY on the private feedback, or are there any other factors that influence it? I am asking because last night I noticed it had dropped significantly - from 100% to 91%. In the meantime, a client left a 5-star public feedback and hired me again, plus we're discussing a new job, so I can hardly believe he left poor private feedback. Was the drop in RR due to this one low private feedback? 

(I didn't sleep much last night, really worried. My JSS dropped from 100% to 95% on the last update because of a couple of inactive contracts - I know this because I hadn't had any new jobs opened or closed in between the two updates. This rather low RR could easily be the final nail in my Top Rated status coffin if my guesses are correct).

Ever since I got into Pro and heard they auto-kick you if you drop below 90%, I feel ya on obsessing about JSS. But, I've been in the 90% range (albeit only 2 weeks) and I still landed gigs. Unless you lose something from dropping below 90%, I wouldn't let it get to you too much. I've been down to 92% plenty of times. 

Close is good enough for horse shoes, hand grenades, and Upwork's JSS.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
48 of 54

@Elizabeta M wrote:

My understanding is the "clients who would recommend" updates periodically and isn't necessarily a reflection of that one contract. I say that because it doesn't change very often. Mine was the same for a long time after it appeared even though a few contracts closed. I think around five contract closures later a new score appeared and it was a big jump. It recently changed again. I read on the forums some belief that it updates after you receive a certain number of additional private ratings. One low feedback might lower it (you obviously would not be a 100% *if* that happened.), but it may not be the contract you think. 

ETA: I just realized it may have been this thread where I saw the idea that the recommended score may update after a certain number of new private feedback ratings accumulate. That seems to follow my experience as my first few months here I was a keen stats stalker. 

e_milosevski
Elizabeta M Member Since: Jun 4, 2016
49 of 54

Vladimir and Jennifer, thank you for your kind words of support and encouragement. 

I will continue to give my all in terms of providing the best possible service to my clients, and not obssess over ratings - private or public. Sometimes one has to admit there are things way beyond one's control. 

Cheers, guys! 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
50 of 54

Oh, Snap! My long-term clients increased to 39% this rating cycle. No other visible changes except one client suspended (not my issue). No new jobs, a few invites that I declined. 

Something good must have dropped out of my calculation window because my JSS dropped 1 point. Maybe I have too many unclosed contracts or closed ones without reviews in the review window. Hmm...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS