🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » INACTIVE BANK ACCOUNT. WHY?
Page options
michoracion
Community Member

INACTIVE BANK ACCOUNT. WHY?

Good day, I would like to ask how can I activate my bank account to receive payments? I registered my bank account a week ago but it is still inactive. Why is that? I have already checked my account name to make sure it matches my odesk name. And also, can I withdraw payments less than $10? Im looking forward for your help. Thanks in advance.
34 REPLIES 34
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Michelle,

It looks like you haven't completed your tax information which is required to withdraw your funds from Upwork. Please, make sure you complete the tax form in your settings.

You will be able to withdraw any amount by clicking on the Get Paid button.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello, I'm a non use tax payer I alreadly filled my information for the w-8BEN but I'm still seeing a notification on top to fill a W-9 FORM when I click that notication it takes me back to the W-8BEN infor that I already filled I don't undertstand what am I doing wrong 

Hi Rebeca, 

I checked your account and do not see any notification to fill-in a Form W-9. Could you please confirm where you are seeing this notification on your account?

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello ! It's been a mnth since i added payment method to local bank. But it's still inactiave. Tax details has been added also. No Response or Verification email from upwork. Can you please tell me how long it will take to active ?

Hi Haris,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi team,
I am facing the same problem. It's been a week since I added my bank details again and filled out my tax information, but it's still inactive. One or two weeks ago, I saw that the local bank was active, but I don't know why it is inactive again. Can you please help?

Is it fix already? Im having the same problem thou

Hi Isaiah,

I checked, and it looks like you haven't filled out your W-8BEN yet. 

The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before withdrawing earnings from Upwork.

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold up to 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a valid W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax.

To complete the W-8BEN or W-8BEN-E, you'll need to complete three cards in the Tax Information section of your settings. You can find more information in this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork
shaazlams
Community Member

I added my bank account in upwork a week ago But still inactive.Im looking forward for your help. Thanks in advance.

Hi Abu,

You are not able to withdraw your funds to your bank account because you haven't completed your Tax Information. Please, go to your Settings then click Tax Information and make sure you complete all the fielads in the form.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Community Member

Hi I have a problem , I cant activate my bank account, and in the tax information what should I put ? I am still a student

Hi Cindy,

It looks like you were able to complete your W-8BEN form and withdraw your available earnings a couple of hours ago.

Please, let us know if you have any additional questions.

~ Valeria
Upwork

what do i need to put in the legal name of business under the tax information? I'm still a student.

You can put your name as it shows on your passport or your bank statements, Bea.

~ Valeria
Upwork

so i will just have to put my full name in the tax information? How will I know if my payment method is already active?

Bea,

It looks like your payment method is already active. You should be able to withdraw your funds once they become available on your Upwork account on January 1. You can check that in your Reports.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Dear Valeria,

I am registered as self epmployed and I dont have  a VAt number, since I don't have to pay tax as long as my earnings doesn't exeed 14.000 eur per year,but this site requests Vat number and I am not able to withdraw my earnings, What should i do?

Hi Baiba,

VAT is being assessed not on services you provide your clients but on services provided to you by Upwork. These services are not different based on whether or not you’re a small business, earn above a certain amount, etc. You can check the original post on this thread for more information, especially questions 7, 13 and 14. 

Additionally, VAT number is not required for you to withdraw your earnings from Upwork. If you don't have it, you don't need to enter it and we will process the VAT charge accordingly. However, you need to fill W-8BEN form in order to be able to withdraw your funds.

I hope this information helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hey Valeria,

I have added 3 payment options, payoneer, local fund account and skrill. Tax information already added. 4 days already spent but still my accounts are inactive. What can I do now? Can you tell me, please?

Hi Mehedi,

I just checked and you should be able to withdraw your available funds now. Your withdrawal methods are active.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Yes, I was forgot to add legal name in tax information. After add legal name Im able to get paid. Thanks for your quick respond.

Can you please check mine? It has been 4-5 days and still inactive. The ticket is also not being replied to.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your concern with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thnaks for this info ......But I have a queries Im not able to purchase connects everytime I click the add connect was not working .Kindly help .Please 

Hi Sarah Mona,

I checked this for you and was not able to replicate the issue you're experiencing. Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue? Please use this link to see the options available to you and add one of those. 

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

##-Hi Good day 
I tried to clear ache and log into another browser but still I'm not able to purchased connect ,Please help ,Every time I click the add connect was not working ..
Kindly help ,I need job very badly ...Please 
Kind regards 
Sarah 

Hi Sarah Mona,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble this caused. Could you please try adding your billing method first? Use this link to see the options available to you and add one of those. 

Afterwards, you should be able to purchase connects by following instructions shared in this help article.

Feel free to reach back to us if you need any further assistance.

~ Bojan
Upwork
achintadesigner
Community Member

I added my Direct local bank account in upwork a week ago But still inactive.I'm looking forward to your help. Thanks in advance.

Hi Achinta, 

I checked your account and can see that you still need to fill-in your W8-BEN form. Please go to your Settings > Tax Information and fill-in the form to be able to user your chosen payment method to withdraw your earnings on the platform.

~ Avery
Upwork
6f9d4380
Community Member

Hi! its been days that i have added my bank account but it is still inactive and i have completed the tax information but still it is inactive. help please

Hi Faran,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
6f9d4380
Community Member

It is still inactive please help please.

nehu-vadhiya
Community Member

Hello,

My bank withdrawal method isn’t active yet and shows wait 3 days after you add a new withdrawal method before you can use it.

I have completed the tax information and tax form.

I registered my bank account two days ago but it is still inactive.
I would like to ask how can I activate my bank account to receive payments. Any issue there? I am looking forward to your help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Nehalkumar,

For security reasons, you must wait 3 days before your payment method becomes active. In your case, it should become active by Dec 14, UTC.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths