Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: IRS Form 6166 for Belarus

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
141 of 146

Hi Siarhei,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with the form. Let us know if you need further help.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
andrashuk
Aliaksandr A Member Since: May 17, 2020
142 of 146

Hello.

Could you please assist in getting 6166 form for Belarus (current year, 2021) blue printed?

Thanks.

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
143 of 146

Hi Aliaksandr,

I shared your request with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
ashklianko
Aliaksandr S Member Since: Jan 15, 2021
144 of 146

Hello, same question: blue printed 6166 forms for 2020 and 2021 for Belarus are still required!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
145 of 146

Hi all,

Due to the delays caused by Covid-19 pandemic and changes in US Tax Law, Upwork is unable to offer a physical copy of the form 6166 at the moment. This is out of our control, as the US Government handles the form, and Upwork has to wait for them to generate the forms and send them to us.
Once we're able to process these requests again, we'll update this Community thread.
Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

aralko1
Andrei R Member Since: Sep 30, 2019
146 of 146

Sorry, but this does not look like a solution - it cause all Belarus freelancers to pay extra taxes. But as I mentioned above - see https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/IRS-Form-6166-for-Belarus/m-p/873877/highlight/true#M540... and wrote to the support there is a simple solution for this issue - to publish publicaly electronic copies of the IRS Form 6166 forms for Belarus on the Upwork web-site. In this case accordingly to the local regulations the scans (with reference to the published online forms) would be legally accepted by Belarus tax authorities in the same way as original paper IRS Form 6166 document and freelancers from Belarus would not need to pay extra tax.

I do not understand Upwork position here as:

- it creates additional overhead on Belarus freelances and forces them to pay extra taxes
- information containing in the IRS Form 6166 is not a confidential one, and you could easily find corresponding images in internet and download it scans without requesting Upwork support

- many international online businesses already published their forms online for Belarus partners convenience (for example Uber - https://pro.yandex/by-ru/minsk/uber-docs)

- this solution would really reduce workload on support by reducing number of support requests to provide IRS Form 6166 scans. 

I.e. it looks like a win-win solution: less work for the Upwork support, less taxes to pay for freelancers - why not just to publish a page with links to scans??

I hope that Upwork would finally pay attention to the issue and simplify life for 3000+ freelancers from Belarus.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS