cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS THIS A SCAM?? GOOGLE HANGOUT INTERVIEWs

d1trance
Active

Wondering if these people are part of a scam?? I am new here on Upwork and have been contacted by two companies that proposed that they were interested in interviewing me. At first I was all happy that I was hired and would be working and earning money to pay for classes at my school but then I had a second interview and this interview was almost the same as the other (same questions, almost the same programs needed for job) and this is when I started getting suspicious. I do not know who to contact at Upwork in order to ask questions about these two companies.

Here is the proposal for interview message sent to me:

These proposals are for work as a bookkeeper, data-entry, administrative assistant. I received 2 proposaals yesterday 4/11/2016 and was asked for an interview. This is the message that I was sent. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

So...yesterday I had the first interview and then on the second interview I saw that both were almost the same. After about an hour interview with **Edited for Community Guidelines** (the first interview) who works for a company (**) and gave me the website address. I found the website legitimate and continued with the interview. After the interview I was told I was hired and that I needed some supplies for my home office. I was informed about benefits, pay rate and hours and duties required for the job. I was told I need these:

IBM Notepad laptop,

BS 1 Accounting software ,

MYOB business essentials software ,

Peach Tree Software ( US Patent Single Users Pack ),

simply accounting .

Microsoft Office Accounting,

Sirius GT Accounting For Windows X window time tracker ,

for my home office and that I would be provided a check in the next day for me to cash for the purchase of the supplies. This is where I started getting suspicious. I do not know who to report this to or ask questions pertaining to these companies who offered me a job.

IS THIS A SCAM????

I really need this job and now I think I am stuck still looking. Woman Sad

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
suznee
Community Guru

Any job that asks you to purchase things and that they will send you a check is a scam. Many are doing interviews on Yahoo. Stay Away. Run as fast as you can...

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173
suznee
Community Guru

Any job that asks you to purchase things and that they will send you a check is a scam. Many are doing interviews on Yahoo. Stay Away. Run as fast as you can...

Do you happen to have any suggestions about who to contact at Upwork about these proposals? I am really upset that I can be sent job proposals and then turn out to be scams. The only reason I did think finding work here on this site is because I wouldn't run into these people trying to steal people's information. Just wanted to find a job to pay for my next class in school.

@Dora G wrote:

Do you happen to have any suggestions about who to contact at Upwork about these proposals? I am really upset that I can be sent job proposals and then turn out to be scams. The only reason I did think finding work here on this site is because I wouldn't run into these people trying to steal people's information. Just wanted to find a job to pay for my next class in school.

I think you can flag the proposal, or send a request to the Help Centre. I haven't had to send a help request yet, so I am not certain, but I believe the '?' at the top of your profile page has the link.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't let the scammers put you off. You will get them wherever you go.

They target the newbies, so once you have a few jobs under your belt, and start to recognise the scams, you won't have any problems.

There are a lot of good jobs, and great clients, on here so don't give up.

I can't find how to report or block the scammers on the app. Their should be a way to do both!

Hello Molly,

You may also report and block them by logging in to our website via browser.

Untitled

Hi Dora,

I'm new to Upworks and so far I've received two seperate interview requests via Google Hangout for jobs I did not submit proposals to. How did you handle your situations?

Hi Sherling and welcome to the Community.

I am glad you decided to ask questions here before making a decision. Always make sure the client offers you a contract and payment via Upwork before you do any work for them. Also, check if the client's payment method is verified and a milestone is funded if the contract is fixed-price. 

If the client offers payment outside of Upwork, requests you to work without a contract or their requests violate Upwork ToS in any way, please report them by flagging the original job posting and stop communicating with them.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello!, I am new to the community also, and I have been sent three requests to interview via Google Hangouts from seemingly separate employers. I am wondering if this is normal considering they can message you via Upwork. I also got an e-mail yesterday right before I got these offers warning me of an employer they think was phising. I also got the offers consecutively. If you hvae any input please let me know, as far as should I participate in these interviews, Thank you for your help!

re: "I have been sent three requests to interview via Google Hangouts... should I participate in these interviews?"

Elizabeth:

Whenever you receive an interview request that mentions Google Hangouts, you should immediately stop communicating with the "client." These are just scammers. There is no money to me made from these people.

Thank you so much Preston ... my alarms started to go off after I did the interview 🙂 and then the interviewer said only contact me via  Hangouts.  I'm glad I saw your post!!

I got a few of these also.  I wased quite a bit of time communicating with the first one before I realized it wasn't legit.  What are they after?  The whole thing was so stupid.  I imagine he would have eventually gotten around to asking for banking information or something.  It actually appeared as though the origional interviewer was replaced at some point with a much less articulate individual.  It started out okay, but go sketchier and sketchier as time went on.

How do I report client accounts that are fraudulent scams? They recieved my name and email and address before i though this has to be a scam. Should I also be worried?

Hi Tara,

If you are referring to the client suggested to interview on Google Hangouts, then their account has already been closed by Upwork team because they it was in violation of Upwork ToS. 

Generally, you can report suspicious jobs by clicking Flag as Inappropriate link of the job post. Please, see this post for more tips on how to recognize warnings signs.

~ Valeria
Upwork

No there were more clients then that one. i have had 3 so far that i Know of to be exact.

Tara,

Are other jobs you are referring still active? I checked and it looks like proposals for those jobs have already been archived and actions taken against the jobs. If you suspect a job to be a scam but it's still active, could you please flag it?

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Hi
It’s still active
I did an interview on hangout today and wasted a lot of time
Initially I was happy but after read all the conversations here I know it’s a scam

Hi Arshwinder, 

It's good to know that you were able to identify a red flag ahead of time. I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

I received a message from **Edited for Community Guidelines** f supposedly with a company called **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

After a lengthy email on Google Hangouts they requested verification documentation :Name :
Address :
City :
State :
Zipcode:
Cell # :
Email :
A copy of a valid id card (Drivers liscence):  
At which point i requested an official email from their company email and they suddenly disappeared.
This was very elaborate and very likely will catch a lot of people out

The MO changes here and there. Avoid Google hangouts unless you know your client. Report the job either by flagging it or submitting a request to customer support. The job (and perhaps the account) may already have been removed.

Hi Nyasha,

Please, do not communicate with this client anymore as they are violating Upwork ToS. I'm following up with the team to make sure they review this account and take appropriate actions.  

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS