cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS THIS A SCAM?? GOOGLE HANGOUT INTERVIEWs

d1trance

Wondering if these people are part of a scam?? I am new here on Upwork and have been contacted by two companies that proposed that they were interested in interviewing me. At first I was all happy that I was hired and would be working and earning money to pay for classes at my school but then I had a second interview and this interview was almost the same as the other (same questions, almost the same programs needed for job) and this is when I started getting suspicious. I do not know who to contact at Upwork in order to ask questions about these two companies.

Here is the proposal for interview message sent to me:

These proposals are for work as a bookkeeper, data-entry, administrative assistant. I received 2 proposaals yesterday 4/11/2016 and was asked for an interview. This is the message that I was sent. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

So...yesterday I had the first interview and then on the second interview I saw that both were almost the same. After about an hour interview with **Edited for Community Guidelines** (the first interview) who works for a company (**) and gave me the website address. I found the website legitimate and continued with the interview. After the interview I was told I was hired and that I needed some supplies for my home office. I was informed about benefits, pay rate and hours and duties required for the job. I was told I need these:

IBM Notepad laptop,

BS 1 Accounting software ,

MYOB business essentials software ,

Peach Tree Software ( US Patent Single Users Pack ),

simply accounting .

Microsoft Office Accounting,

Sirius GT Accounting For Windows X window time tracker ,

for my home office and that I would be provided a check in the next day for me to cash for the purchase of the supplies. This is where I started getting suspicious. I do not know who to report this to or ask questions pertaining to these companies who offered me a job.

IS THIS A SCAM????

I really need this job and now I think I am stuck still looking. Woman Sad

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
suznee
Community Guru

Any job that asks you to purchase things and that they will send you a check is a scam. Many are doing interviews on Yahoo. Stay Away. Run as fast as you can...

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173

Hi Scott,

Were invited for an interview you are referring to on Upwork?

~ Valeria
Upwork
chad_phillips

I just got a similar invite for a google hangout interview. I'm not going to accept but wanted to know if it's scam.

Can someone confirm?

Here is the job posting link from the invitation message...which by itself looks legit.

But the original message came through saying this...

Hi Chad,

That job has already been removed from the platform along with the client's account because they were violating Upwork ToS. Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Ugh! This is really frustrating, its like the find ways to re-invent themselves, taking advantage of people seeking work. I just got this invite too, and while doing the "interview", it really seemed too good to be true and deceided to double check and this thread came up. I know better now.

dougcardinale

After 15 questions via Google Hangouts I was presented with this:

Should I continue?

Douglas,

Is this a serious question? If you have read the posts in this thread, then you should know that the answer is NO in, larger-than-life caps! The job is a SCAM in larger-than-life caps . . .

Read everything in this thread particularly "Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs": https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Yes, that was a serious question. Thank you for being so friendly! I hope that you do not represent UpWork.

@Nichola L wrote:

Douglas,

Is this a serious question? If you have read the posts in this thread, then you should know that the answer is NO in, larger-than-life caps! The job is a SCAM in larger-than-life caps . . .

Read everything in this thread particularly "Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs": https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

@Douglas C C wrote:

Yes, that was a serious question. Thank you for being so friendly! I hope that you do not represent UpWork.

@Nichola L wrote:

Douglas,

I was merely astonished that someone with your background should nearly have fallen for a scam of this sort. Which just means that whoever joins Upwork, whatever their qualifications, should read everything  about the site - how it operates, the Tos, and the pitfalls before accepting any invitations.

These scammers target newcomers across the board . . . the thread that I gave you was put together by various Upwork moderators. If you feel it is beneath your dignity then . . .

@Nichola L wrote:

These scammers target newcomers across the board . . . the thread that I gave you was put together by various Upwork moderators. If you feel it is beneath your dignity then . . .

Not to mention, by registering on this site, you imply intent to communicate with perspective clients and possibly even earn money by working for those clients.

Which means your going to be dealing with:

1) Client Relationships - Which are different on every job site, and Upwork is no exception

2) Financials - In terms of you getting paid

Why any new person would not READ EVERYTHING they could about those two things, BEFORE communicating with perspectivve with clients, accepting a proposal, bidding on a job, is totally beyond me.

Hi Douglas,

The interview has already been archived because the job was taken down for violating Upwork ToS. You can check that under Find Work> Proposals> Archived. Please, don't communicate with the client any further and review the link Nichola shared for some tips on how to avoid such jobs in the future.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you for your help!

rockybink

They just suckered me also

re: "They just suckered me also"

That's okay.

You will never again waste time talking to anybody who mentions "Google hangouts" in an interview request.

So your time was well spent to learn that lesson.

Hi Rochelle,

I checked the interview I believe you are referring to and it looks like actions have already been taken against the job and the client account.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jkrl

This just happened to me two days ago.

That just happened to me today.  I am really sad because i really need the work.

Hi Zaira,

I believe I found the interview you are referring to and it looks like the team has already taken actions against the post and the client.

Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jenniferalyssa

I received something very similiar, however they did not ask me to purchase anything. They did however, ask for what bank I used and my name, address, and phone number. I did not give them any of that because it was screaming red flags, however the company they are claiming they are from seems to get a legitimate company, and the "person" I have been in contact with is listed as an eployee on the website. This did ask to speak to me through google hangouts. How do I know whether it is legit or not, because right now, I am thinking more that it is not. 

Don't fall for that Jennifer. If the person is already asking for personal / private information, this is a scam. The site can be a clone of the original with few letters between changed on their url. Then, name, photos, description can be easily copied to their fake-clone website. Ask him via upwork video app / desktop PC version and see if he is the legit person he tries to prove.

re: "They did however, ask for what bank I used and my name, address, and phone number."

No client needs all that.

Thankfully Jennifer was too smart to fall for this.

She realized something was wrong, if if she wasn't experienced enough to know that she was dealing with an identity thief or a scammer who only wanted to steal money from her bank account.

Let's think about this logicallly...

They asked what bank I use? NO CLIENT on Upwork needs that information. ALL payments go through Upwork. The ONLY reasons somebody would want that information are because:

a) They want to pay you directly to your bank, which is a violation of Upwork ToS, and would get you kicked off the platform.

or

b) They want to steal your money.

If they are hiring me (for example) to write an article... and the payment goes through Upwork, then why would they need to know the name of my bank?

When was the last time you thought about buying a book, and the first thing you wanted to know about the book was what bank the author used?

And why do they want to know my address? Are they going to come to my house and pick up the article in person? Every other client wants me to send the article to them through email or messaging. Are they going to come here and kick my dog if my article is late?

@Jennifer C wrote:

however the company they are claiming they are from seems to get a legitimate company, and the "person" I have been in contact with is listed as an eployee on the website.

It is a scam.

These people will use information that you can Google so that people would think it's legit.

If you call that company, they wouldn't know of any interview they are conducting in relation to what is being offered to you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS