cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS THIS A SCAM?? GOOGLE HANGOUT INTERVIEWs

d1trance
Active

Wondering if these people are part of a scam?? I am new here on Upwork and have been contacted by two companies that proposed that they were interested in interviewing me. At first I was all happy that I was hired and would be working and earning money to pay for classes at my school but then I had a second interview and this interview was almost the same as the other (same questions, almost the same programs needed for job) and this is when I started getting suspicious. I do not know who to contact at Upwork in order to ask questions about these two companies.

Here is the proposal for interview message sent to me:

These proposals are for work as a bookkeeper, data-entry, administrative assistant. I received 2 proposaals yesterday 4/11/2016 and was asked for an interview. This is the message that I was sent. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

So...yesterday I had the first interview and then on the second interview I saw that both were almost the same. After about an hour interview with **Edited for Community Guidelines** (the first interview) who works for a company (**) and gave me the website address. I found the website legitimate and continued with the interview. After the interview I was told I was hired and that I needed some supplies for my home office. I was informed about benefits, pay rate and hours and duties required for the job. I was told I need these:

IBM Notepad laptop,

BS 1 Accounting software ,

MYOB business essentials software ,

Peach Tree Software ( US Patent Single Users Pack ),

simply accounting .

Microsoft Office Accounting,

Sirius GT Accounting For Windows X window time tracker ,

for my home office and that I would be provided a check in the next day for me to cash for the purchase of the supplies. This is where I started getting suspicious. I do not know who to report this to or ask questions pertaining to these companies who offered me a job.

IS THIS A SCAM????

I really need this job and now I think I am stuck still looking. Woman Sad

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
suznee
Community Guru

Any job that asks you to purchase things and that they will send you a check is a scam. Many are doing interviews on Yahoo. Stay Away. Run as fast as you can...

View solution in original post

173 REPLIES 173

Hi Jennifer, 

I would like to confirm that this is a scam and actions have been taken against the client and their job post because of a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. 

It is unusual for client to request for your personal information, and/or your bank details, and we don't recommend meeting this request. You may want to read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs

and the Safety First! section of the freelancer resources we compiled to help you work safely on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork

@Jennifer C wrote:

I received something very similiar, however they did not ask me to purchase anything. They did however, ask for what bank I used and my name, address, and phone number.

They want to know your bank because some banks are better at recognizing the fake check they plan to send you than others. They want your address so they know where tosend the fake check...

At the end of the Hangout interview they offer you the job (of course there is no job) and then tell you they'll pay for your home office and will send you a check so you can buy typically 3 to 4 thousand Dollars worth of "stuff" from their "approved vendor" (the scammer themselves)

They want you to deposit the check which will initially show as "cleared" and they then want you to send your real money to the "approved vendor" (the scammer themselves)

A week or so later the check turns out to be fake, you lose all the money you sent, possibly your bank account and might get into trouble with the authorities for money laundering.

a6b627cf
Active

I unfortunately fell victim to this "scam". I think it has to do with "public" setting of your profile...I could be wrong...but it seems like "they" target "newbies" with a public profile..

anyone else have this problem 😞

The SCAM challenge is all round is. Be vigilant and prudent.
hoppie5925
Active

I was wondering the same thing, I have gotten two also and they just want to communicate on hangout. That is a red flag to me and the fact that the payment it not verified, both were like that. I did not get to the point to see if they asked me to purchase anything because it sounded fishy and I did not answer. I would have to let a job opportunity pass by but I don’t have time for scams. 

I can, in all honesty, say - from personal and other people's experience - google hangout is the place scammers tend to use. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS