🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Idea: Let freelancers choose which reviews to...
Page options
jennifervh
Community Member

Idea: Let freelancers choose which reviews to show on public profile

I have a feature suggestion, not sure how or where to raise it, but thought I'd throw it out here.

If a potential client is browsing Upwork freelancers without being logged in and they click on my profile, they'll see 4 client reviews with an offer to see my full profile if they log in. These reviews are from 2018, and never update to show more current reviews. One doesn't even have any comments. I have some amazing reviews that are current, and would do a better job of piquing a potential new client's interest in chatting with me about a project.

Why not let freelancers choose a few reviews to be displayed on their public profiles? Better marketing for a freelancer that potentially draws in new clients is also better marketing for Upwork itself.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer V wrote:

I have a feature suggestion, not sure how or where to raise it, but thought I'd throw it out here.

If a potential client is browsing Upwork freelancers without being logged in and they click on my profile, they'll see 4 client reviews with an offer to see my full profile if they log in. T

Why not let freelancers choose a few reviews to be displayed on their public profiles? 

That's not how it works. Clients choose a privacy setting when they post a job. Only those contracts that result from job posts that were posted as "public" can ever be shown when not logged into Upwork, as doing anything else would violate the rights of clients who chose to show their job posts only to Upwork users.

It can not, and must not ever be up to freelancers to overwrite the choices of their clients.

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer V wrote:

If a potential client is browsing Upwork freelancers without being logged in and they click on my profile, they'll see 4 client reviews with an offer to see my full profile if they log in. T

Why not let freelancers choose a few reviews to be displayed on their public profiles? 

That's not how it works. Clients choose a privacy setting when they post a job. Only those contracts that result from job posts that were posted as "public" can ever be shown when not logged into Upwork, as doing anything else would violate the rights of clients who chose to show their job posts only to Upwork users.

It can not, and must not ever be up to freelancers to overwrite the choices of their clients.

Ah, that does make sense. As a client, I've seen this setting before myself. I never realized this meant on Upwork's own site but not logged in. 

Yes, that is interesting. I've never used Upwork as a client, but just went through the steps of posting a job to see what it's like (without posting the job).

David, I can see what you mean that it wouldn't be intuitive for a client to understand that the privacy setting also applies to a review left at the end of a project. If it were me, I would be checking that box in the context of thinking about who I want in the application process, and by the time I got to the end of the project - potentially months later - and was writing a review for the freelancer, I wouldn't remember or be thinking about the fact I had even checked that box. 

Certainly no one is suggesting that any website user ever, anywhere - client or freelancer - has their privacy settings overridden by anyone else, that's not even on the table. But enabling better marketing in an ongoing way with the one-time cost of adding a new feature is still possible. As the client is writing a review, there could simply be a checkbox that lets the client make an explicit choice:

1. Hide my job title and review from public - it can be seen on the freelancer's profile only by logged in Upwork users

2. Hide my job title, but allow the text of my review to be seen on the freelancer's public profile. We can currently share the first few lines of ANY review on LinkedIn, Twittter, and Facebook. In this case, on my public profile page, instead of listing the job, it could just say "Upwork client", as does the screenshot.

3. Allow my job title and review to be seen on the freelancer's public profile.

Several of my clients, after leaving a thorough review, have asked if there was anything else they could do to help (in the context of letting me know they had left a review). I feel like these folks would be happy to let the text of their review be viewable on my public profile.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

That's interesting, I never noticed that before. I only have three reviews myself in that view, and you're right they are from 2018 or early 2019. I've seen other freelancers with more of their job history shown. I'd be curious if there is something we can do here, too. 

David S M wrote:

That's interesting, I never noticed that before. I only have three reviews myself in that view, and you're right they are from 2018 or early 2019. I've seen other freelancers with more of their job history shown. I'd be curious if there is something we can do here, too. 

Which contracts show on your public view depends on what visibility setting your clients chose when they posted the job post.

Jobs which resulted from job posts where the clients chose that they must only be visible to Upwork users  when posting their jobs will not ever be seen by people who are not logged in to Upwork, obviously.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths