Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea on Posting Scam Jobs

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
1 of 17

Odesk has a policy about what you can and can't do.

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Announcements/oDesk-Community-Guidelines/m-p/3#U3

I cannot find in the guidelines any place that would prevent us from posting scam jobs that were posted on oDesk. I do see we can't post personal information, we can't post disputes or emails, but where is it we cannot copy and paste the job if it is a known scam as long as contact info is not posted with it?

I have seen so many people lately, especially the newbies being scammed by jobs posted on oDesk for Captcha and for other. It would be nice if we could have a list for those who are new to protect them. Including those jobs that are posting with the yahoo emails in them as it is against oDesk policy to post contact info in the job post but many of these do.

Moderators could you tell me if we could start something with jobs that are known scams to help out the newbies?

It would be nice because many of them are the same wording or similar such as typing old books or pdf or .. There are a lot of bait and switch which are the same description. I know this is not going to help every newbie but it might help some if it was available for them to know that those type of descriptions are scams.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 17

Hi Suzanne,

We appreciate your effort to help new freelancers avoid scam and it is definitely good to share best practices of identifying and avoiding scam job. However, we cannot allow posting of names of clients and companies as it would be in violation of Forum Guideline #4. In other words, it's okay to describe your experience or any client's suspicious behavior, but please make sure you avoid posting any details or exact job descriptions. Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
3 of 17

Valeria,

I was not asking to post names of clients or contractors, just posting of jobs. I was asking if you could pin and we could post the job tiles and descriptions. Of course we could change a word or other, but even with the long long post on how to stay safe there is a growning number of scams (which are old scams) but they are hitting the newbies on a regular basis.

It would be nice to have have a topic posted that was Scam jobs and how they phrase them.

I really would like to see oDesk going through jobs like you are new freelancers, and not posting them till they are approved.

You want the new connect system to work but how many want to spend their connects on scam jobs? Old timers can spot them but not a newbie.

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
4 of 17
I can give you one hint for design category - avoid jobs with USA, CAN, AUS in the job posting (I found almost 40 during the weekend). Guy named Kevin (apparently a well known name in the scam job posting) will contact you and ask you to sell items on eBay. Job postings are squeaky clean, no grounds for reporting - other that they keep asking for freelancers from these three countries.
I had no idea it was a scam, so I applied to two jobs - I was contacted with "sell items on eBay" message and I reported the job. It was taken down and I got my two connects back. Now I got the message from Kevin about the second job - with the same eBay offer. I reported it again, and will get my two connects back...again ;-)
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
5 of 17

Hi Suzanne,

This is a tricky area for us as we have to balance privacy, perception (we don't want to scare users into thinking our platform is overrun with scam jobs), and protection of newbies as you suggest. 

We'll put some thought into this and get back to you. I may have one of our team members reach out to you for further conversation on the topic if you're open to it.

Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
6 of 17
Hmmm....I just realized something...
Connects system will help cut the scam job postings ;-). People will report those in order to get their connects back. With the old system, it was enough to withdraw your proposal - now you'll have to report the job posting, and if it's a scam, odesk will take it down and you'll get your connects back ;-)
Community Guru
7 of 17

@Garnor M wrote:

Hi Suzanne,

This is a tricky area for us as we have to balance privacy, perception (we don't want to scare users into thinking our platform is overrun with scam jobs), and protection of newbies as you suggest. 

We'll put some thought into this and get back to you. I may have one of our team members reach out to you for further conversation on the topic if you're open to it.

I am fine with someone talking to me about it. I just would like to see some way to educate the newbies on what to look for and some of the most common scams that do get posted, or I would like to see someone monitoring the job posts and approving or disapproving them before they get posted (which seems to most responsible to me) but I just have seen way to many and a lot of complaints by newbies on applying to scam jobs.  

Ace Contributor
Candi H Member Since: Jan 14, 2015
8 of 17

I don't typically look for jobs, but today I tried. I am a writer. The field is saturated with scams. A few have a job description of "need writers" that's it. The budget is lucrative, with a whopping $1,000 posted.

It looks like the same "person" opened several accounts within a few days of each other. There are 17 jobs posted on each of these accounts with similar wording all with 0 hires and 3 jobs currently open, since mid February. I know it is bogus, but I had to look and I saw each job did have a few applicants. How sad. They are wasting their connects on jobs that will never pan out.

On one of the posts, it simply says, "give us your email and skype and we will discuss details." These are the kinds of jobs that give oDesk a bad name. There is a strict process to get a profile approved for freelancers, but anybody and it appears everybody, posts jobs like there is no tomorrow.

I gave up trying to use search. I used my 2 connects and I'm done. The majority of jobs are absolutely ridiculous or complete scams. I will wait for them to come to me rather than waste those precious connects.

Robert O Member Since: Apr 4, 2015
9 of 17

Yeah, this guy Kevin has scammed me on 3 jobs now.  That's 6 connects, and when I filed a help ticket the response was, "As you feel that these jobs are inappropriate" I should flag the job as inappropriate.  Also " if a job is cancelled (by the client or oDesk) without hiring , the Connects used on that application will be returned for you to reuse." 

Unfortunately, the jobs are still active.

And, looking at the most recent one, it shows that this new version has 4 other outstanding jobs.

We should be able to post something to warn people.

And oDesk should be permanently banning the IP of the scammers.  After all, they "don't want to scare users into thinking [their] platform is overrun with scam jobs"

Community Guru
10 of 17

@Robert O wrote:

Yeah, this guy Kevin has scammed me on 3 jobs now.  That's 6 connects, and when I filed a help ticket the response was, "As you feel that these jobs are inappropriate" I should flag the job as inappropriate.  Also " if a job is cancelled (by the client or oDesk) without hiring , the Connects used on that application will be returned for you to reuse." 

Unfortunately, the jobs are still active.

And, looking at the most recent one, it shows that this new version has 4 other outstanding jobs.

We should be able to post something to warn people.

And oDesk should be permanently banning the IP of the scammers.  After all, they "don't want to scare users into thinking [their] platform is overrun with scam jobs"

Robert and Candi this is why I brought this up. I don't want to scare anyone either but would like to see either jobs monitored and not allowed to be posted until approved, or some kind of warning system in place in the forum or elsewhere that newbies and others can see which jobs to look out for and to flag.

I am not thrilled with the response time for flagged jobs. I flagged several with the wording "Medicare" in them which there were quite a few last week that were still up. One is still up that is a scam. Not to say all jobs with Medicare in the title are, but there was a huge group which were looking for Medicare processors. Medicare jobs would not be posted on oDesk if they are processors. These are government jobs which would only be placed on the appropriate Government website. 1 posting has been up 19 days and was flagged 19 days ago.

Something needs to be done to alert newbies and those not familiar with scams. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS