cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideally how long I shall wait for client to give me work?

priya8894
Priya K Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
1 of 18

I need some guidance because it has happen before too and I am unble to decide what to do and how to judge situation.

I get two jobs offers .One is full time, better paying.So I start talking with client through PM.He assigns me sample work which I submit on time.He then says I will get back to you with proper contract.

Since I have one full time job offer I tell another client that I can not commit to part time job he is offering.

This client ,who was suppose to assign me contract never contacts me again.

I try to contact him through upwork pm but no response.

I am left with no offer.Smiley Sad

How shall I stop getting in this situation again and again?

ahammed_farid
Community Guru
Farid Ahammed B Member Since: May 30, 2016
2 of 18

Hi Priya,

Sometimes client will offer full time or part time in future but don't ignore part time before getting hired,

Sometimes client gets disappear like this, check his hiring rate %, then you will understand the client.

You have to be patience

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 18

Stop telling people you have a contract when you don't have a contract. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 18

Priya, you can easily prevent this from happening again. First of all you do not do any work before a contract is officially in place via Upwork. You do not give free samples.  The "full-time" client has taken your work and disappeared. You will not get paid, but you could report the job to CS.

You've lost out on the second client.

You could have saved yourself a lot of hassle by simply reading Upwork's help pages for new freelancers and the Terms of Service and Terms of Use.

This widget could not be displayed.
5 of 18

Her last job is clicking websites. Isn't that fraud? Some client has to pay for her clicks on ads or whatever.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
6 of 18

@Margarete M wrote:

Her last job is clicking websites. Isn't that fraud? Some client has to pay for her clicks on ads or whatever.

Yes it is fraud and Google is starting talks to go after people who do this type of work.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
g_holstein
Community Leader
Gerald H Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
7 of 18

The first "client" probably never had enough work for a full time job. That may just have been the bait he used to make you do his work for free. Free work, even asking for free work is prohibited on Upwork and you should report this "client" to customer service. 
Take it as a lesson that you never deliver any work without a proper contract. 

8 of 18

Reading the post of the OP, I wonder how Upwork will earn something with numerous freelancers like her and numerous "clients" like described in her post.

priya8894
9 of 18

But what new bies like me are suppose to do when we do not have much feedback.Also Category in which I work (data entry,web research) have tremendous competition.So there this pressure to prove ourself to client.

I am trying to change category in which I work.I am taking classes to improve my skills in other category but Its going to take some time.

Also I need to gather good feedback since most of the client on upwork have this condition that job score should be above 90%.I need atlist 5 jobs so that my profile start showing stats.

priya8894
10 of 18

Thanks all of you for replies.So I  shall just stop giving sample work?

I though its fair since I am fairly new and  do no have much feedback on profile.

I though I need to prove myself to client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS