cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideally how long I shall wait for client to give me work?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 18

Priya unless you read everything there is to know about Upwork from its help pages, the Terms of Service and what you read in the forums you are not going to succeed. Freelancing is not easy and it is not for people who expect jobs to fall into their laps. You have to work really, really hard at it. You have to know what to apply for, how to apply and what to avoid.

g_holstein
Community Leader
Gerald H Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
12 of 18

@Priya K wrote:

Thanks all of you for replies.So I  shall just stop giving sample work?

Yes, please! We all want to work for money here!

I though its fair since I am fairly new and  do no have much feedback on profile.

I though I need to prove myself to client.

Free work only proves that you are an easy victim! This way you will never get a contract and thus no feedback!

You need to read, how to write great proposals and how to do things the right way! Once you find legitimate work, you will get your first feedback and your first portfolio item. Everybody has to go through this. 

Good luck! 

priya8894
Priya K Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
13 of 18

Thank you so much.I will be saying no to clients demanding free samples.

prospect39
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
14 of 18

Another piece of advice ...

When two (or more) buyers express interest in hiring you, NEVER turn down one buyer before you have a contract with the other.  Almost every freelancer has made the mistake of turning down one buyer because another says he will hire them. What sometimes happens is that the first buyer changes his mind, and you're left with nothing.

And in many cases, it's a mistake to decline any of the buyers.

Over the last 15 years, I've found that I can handle much more work than I once thought.  When I was younger, I tried to work on just one big project at a time.  But more often than not, this left me with too much downtime and too little cash flow.

When multiple clients want to hire you at once, it's common to "freak out" and try to keep your workload from becoming overwhelming. But very often, you'll encounter delays on some of the projects, which will give you time to work on the others. 

Two weeks ago, I landed two huge projects, and accepted both.  Then, a third client expressed interest in hiring me.  I was tempted to withdraw my proposal from the third project, but as it turns out, that would have been a mistake.  The first two projects are moving more slowly than expected, so I now have time to work on the third.

priya8894
15 of 18

Thanks! that really open my eyes.

I think I am just lacking confidence that I can handle more than one contract at same time.

I have this fear of bad feedback since I have very few 5 star feedbacks and one negative/bad feedback can ruin my upwork dream forever.So i just want to do things perfect.

g_holstein
Community Leader
16 of 18

Sorry, that I wrote about your first job and first feedback a few posts up. I hadn´t checked your profile because I assumed you were a complete beginner. So with experience on Upwork since February and 5 star feedbacks you are on a good way and can direct clients to your profile and your feedbacks when they ask for work to prove yourself. Your job history shows what you can do. If further proof is needed you could always offer to do a paid small test job.

priya8894
17 of 18

Thansk Gerald H

No I am not complete beginer.But I have less than 5 feedback.So my profile is not showing stats yet.

95% offer I am getting are like that.They all want free samples free of cost.

I got 2 such a offers recently .I have informed them that I will charge fee for that too.

They have not contacted me again.

g_holstein
Community Leader
18 of 18

@Priya K wrote:

Thansk Gerald H

No I am not complete beginer.But I have less than 5 feedback.So my profile is not showing stats yet.

95% offer I am getting are like that.They all want free samples free of cost.

I got 2 such a offers recently .I have informed them that I will charge fee for that too.

They have not contacted me again.

Good for you, that they didn´t contact you again! Sometimes they even distribute their whole work as "small free samples" on different applicants and get their whole project done for free this way. Job descriptions asking for free samples can be flagged and interviews with such requests should be reported to customer service. All freelancers here and the platform itself live from paying clients not from those, who manage to get their work done for free. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS