🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Identifying a Scam
Page options
94c0ab26
Community Member

Identifying a Scam

Good evening, everyone. I'm brand-new to UpWork, and I'm excited to work hard at earning clients, so that I might, someday, make a living as a freelance writer / editor / proofreader.

My first experience on UpWork was a bit disillusioning, as I submitted a bid for a brief proofreading job, and received suspicious messages from the "client" that included a Skype link. I obviously reported the posting, and it was removed.

There are many similar-looking jobs available, however. Does anyone have tips on the particular things that I can look for in an actual job posting, before bidding? For instance, does "Payment Unverified" ring alarm bells, or is that normal?

I've read the UpWork articles about staying safe from scams, but they all pertain to interactions with the client after already taking the time to bid, describe why I'm perfect for the job, etc. I'm hoping that there are some red flags I can identify in the initial job posting itself, or at least items that have come to raise suspicion to some of you experienced UpWorkers.

Thank you very much for any guidance in this area. My hope is that UpWork hasn't mostly become a Scam Fest.

Thanks again --

Christopher

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

Christopher F wrote:

Good evening, everyone. I'm brand-new to UpWork, and I'm excited to work hard at earning clients, so that I might, someday, make a living as a freelance writer / editor / proofreader.

My first experience on UpWork was a bit disillusioning, as I submitted a bid for a brief proofreading job, and received suspicious messages from the "client" that included a Skype link. I obviously reported the posting, and it was removed.

There are many similar-looking jobs available, however. Does anyone have tips on the particular things that I can look for in an actual job posting, before bidding? For instance, does "Payment Unverified" ring alarm bells, or is that normal?

I've read the UpWork articles about staying safe from scams, but they all pertain to interactions with the client after already taking the time to bid, describe why I'm perfect for the job, etc. I'm hoping that there are some red flags I can identify in the initial job posting itself, or at least items that have come to raise suspicion to some of you experienced UpWorkers.

Thank you very much for any guidance in this area. My hope is that UpWork hasn't mostly become a Scam Fest.

Thanks again --

Christopher

You're going to have to sort through this for a bit because scammers target new freelancers. Payment unverified just means the client is new to Upwork and hasn't put in a credit card yet, which is common bc why would they want to give credit card information if they haven't even decided to hire someone yet? 

You did well to report the scammer. When Upwork takes down the scam posts, if you had bid on the job, then you would get your connects back. As you get real jobs under your belt, you'll see less and less of the scam jobs. It can help to narrow your job filters, etc. I don't even see these scam jobs on my job feed. Also know that new freelancers offering proofreading are one of the target groups for scammers. 

The scammers tend to use the same language in their job posts. It's really quite incredible because they aren't the same person, but they play the same game, use the same language, and yet people continue to fall for it. There are many real jobs that pay good money to be had on Upwork, and Upwork tries to get rid of the scammers, but they come back with new tactics because, of course, people break TOS and fall for it. 

Experience will help you identify red flag and scam jobs so you don't waste time bidding on them. If you do happen to bid on one, and find it to be a scam, report it, and when it's taken down your connects will be returned. Thanks for helping the platform stay safe. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
a_lipsey
Community Member

Christopher F wrote:

Thanks again --

Christopher

You're going to have to sort through this for a bit because scammers target new freelancers. Payment unverified just means the client is new to Upwork and hasn't put in a credit card yet, which is common bc why would they want to give credit card information if they haven't even decided to hire someone yet? 

You did well to report the scammer. When Upwork takes down the scam posts, if you had bid on the job, then you would get your connects back. As you get real jobs under your belt, you'll see less and less of the scam jobs. It can help to narrow your job filters, etc. I don't even see these scam jobs on my job feed. Also know that new freelancers offering proofreading are one of the target groups for scammers. 

The scammers tend to use the same language in their job posts. It's really quite incredible because they aren't the same person, but they play the same game, use the same language, and yet people continue to fall for it. There are many real jobs that pay good money to be had on Upwork, and Upwork tries to get rid of the scammers, but they come back with new tactics because, of course, people break TOS and fall for it. 

Experience will help you identify red flag and scam jobs so you don't waste time bidding on them. If you do happen to bid on one, and find it to be a scam, report it, and when it's taken down your connects will be returned. Thanks for helping the platform stay safe. 

Understood. Thank you for the response, Amanda. I appreciate your time!

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Christopher F, sorry this happened to you. The scam posts of the job type you mentioned are very prevalent on UW. more so lately than ever before. Read the ToS and follow it. Never communicate with any client outside of UW until after a contract has been set up. Thanks for sharing your experience here as it helps make all freelancers aware of the problem.

My pleasure, Peter. Thanks for the reminders!

data_divas
Community Member

Some red flags I have noticed:

*Payment unverified (not always a bad thing)
*Job described in very general terms, no specifics of what they actual want.
*Job title starts with caps "Data Processing Agent" in the description.

*Grammar errors or odd way of speaking

*Offering Check or Direct Deposit
*Talking about paper records
*Literal description of what a person in this job would do rather than what the job is about.
*Jobs very similar to other jobs posted at the same time, maybe a sentence is slightly changed.
*If you check the client info, it says the client is in the US yet where it says what time it is in the clients time zone, it doesn't match up to any US time zones.

Check and read here daily,  you'll learn quite a bit.

That's VERY helpful, Julie. I'm grateful for those details. Many thanks!

JoanneP

Hi Christopher,

In addition to the advice shared with you here, please read this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. You might also want to check out the information here to learn more about staying safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
94c0ab26
Community Member

Great links -- I'll certainly take your advice and read them. Thanks so much, Joanne!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members