🐈
» Forums » Support » Name and ID verification
Page options
v_scott
Community Member

Identity Verification When Transgender

Hi, I'm a transgender freelancer who would like to verify that I live in the US, but I don't want to use my legal name for obvious reasons and would rather use my preferred name. Is there any way I could get verified while still using my preferred name? Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Alex,

There most certainly is! Upwork will make exceptions for transgender individuals who are in the process of transitioning but have not been able to obtain a name change due to legal or other barriers. Documentation may be required and so, it would be best if you reach out directly to our support team so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. 

How do I reach a human in customer support?

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

191 REPLIES 191
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

You certainly can, Vivian. We'll have somebody reach out to you directly with more information on how to complete your location verification.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi I have the same issue. Can someone with upwork contact me about this?

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Julie,

Of course, one of our team members will reach out to you directly and assist you further with this. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Please contact me as well, I am having the same issue. Thank you!

Hi  Isabella,

We'll have one of our team members reach out to you shortly and assist you further with your verification process, thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
yayagalea
Community Member

Hello! I'm transgender and would like to change my name also. What can I do?

Hi Gabriela,

I've shared your concern with the team, and one of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
75feadc7
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

I am also a transgender individual who is in the process of transitioning but has not been able to obtain a legal name change. I would like to verify my bank account so that I can get paid. 

Thank you!

Natalie

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Natalie.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I have the same problem. I already replied back on the email to the person who notified me about having to confirm my identity and I now have 6 days left.
I asked if I could use my preferred name on display instead of my legal one.
They said "Please note that you cannot use: Mr. / Mrs., initials, company and fictitious names instead of your real/preferred names."
What does this mean now? Can I use my preferred name or no? Please someone help. Thabk you.

Hi Uros,

I'd recommend that you please follow the instruction that the team has shared with you on your ticket, and if you need further clarifications, please reply to the ticket so the team can assist you further. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I also feel the same. I'm a trans man. I haven’t legal paper of name change. Is that possible for name change?

Hi Piyashi,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
4f9adfc2
Community Member

I am also having this issue, please help!

Hi Phoenix,

I've escalated your request to our team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. You can access the ticket when you log in to your Upwork account and going here.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello!
Please contact me as well, I am having the same issue. Thank you!

I want to let you know that my name in ID  and in Upwork profile are different because I’m a transgender. Unfortunately, my documents are not changed yet to meet my gender identity. It's a long and complicated process in my country. I really hope that a Upwork marketplace is a tolerant place for people of any gender identity. Thanks for understanding.

Hi Lev,

We'll definitely be able to accommodate your request and assist you with verifying your identity. Please send me a private message by clicking on my photo to confirm you're referring to the verification process related to getting the identity verification badge on your profile, and I'll follow up to advise you further.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Can I get someone to reach out to me as well. I just submitted my verification documents and need to use my preferred name as well. Thanks

Sure, Sonjia. I'll send your account information with the team so that they can get in touch with you and assist you with your verification. 

ETA: Looks like the team has reached out to you through a support ticket already. Let us know if you go through any issues and our team will be happy to assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
kvanantw
Community Member

Glad I found this thread, I have the exact same situation (usefully enough my preferred name, Kay, is the first letter of my legal name since I had a large body of work before I came out). Could someone get in touch with me about this as well? Glad to hear you guys are good about this, I was almost in tears when I read it because I've learned to expect terrible treatment about this. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kay, 

I'm glad to know that you find some form of comfort on this thread. Heart

I will go ahead and share your account information with the team so that someone can get in touch with you and assist you with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi,

I need help with using my preferred name. I am really not comfortable using my legal name. Thank you so much and more power.

Hi Mark,

I can see that your name change request was approved. One of our team members will also reach out to you via ticket and assist you further if it's needed. You can access your tickets on this Link. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Please contact me regarding this issue. Thanks!

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for reaching out. One of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket and will assist you further with your request. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I'm trans. My prefered name is not the name on my ID yet I cannot seem to verify it and I need assistance please. 

Thanks,

April

Hi April,

I checked, and I can confirm that one of our agents has already reached out to you to assist you directly via ticket. Please check the ticket from the team and follow the steps they shared. If you need further assistance, please feel free to respond to the ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Ah I nsee it now.  Thanks a bunch! I'll send documents asap via the support ticket if I understand correctly.

Hi Valeria,

I had a meeting to verify my identity and the hold has still not been lifted!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Natalie,

It looks like you were able to successfully complete your verification process. Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue? Let us know if the issue persists. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
75feadc7
Community Member

Clearing cache and cookies, as well as trying to log in on another browser
does not work. Obviously this is an administrative error, not a matter of
browser storage. Please fix this.

75feadc7
Community Member

Clearing cache and cookies, as well as trying to log in on another browser does not work. Obviously this is an administrative error, not a matter of browser storage. Please fix this.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the delay and confusion on our part, Natalie. I see that while your ID badge issue had been resolved, the issue with the name on the bank account was still present and that's what you were referring to. Checked with the team and the issue with the name on your bank account has now been resolved. You'll still need to verify your bank account by entering two small amounts you got on your statement when you added the bank account to your Upwork account.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hey, 

I'm having issues verifying my name on the withdrawal method because of the same reasoning as this thread's respondants. Can I please recieve some assistance?

Thank you. 

~ Keke

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Keke.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
509ddd8a
Community Member

Hi, I am nonbinary and currently using my preferred name on Upwork, but my State-issued ID does not match that name, and I can't find where to contact support. Can you please help me with this? 

Hi Aiden,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Hi, I am also trans, but I have not yet changed my name legally and I would like to get my identity verified, could you get in touch with me about that please?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ash,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your verification process.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths