cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verification When Transgender

thenomadicmagpie
Artemis M Member Since: Aug 6, 2019
101 of 109
Thank you so much! Your help is greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful day!
d835f605
Camila C Member Since: Feb 4, 2021
102 of 109
i'm a transgender and i need help with my verification process i don't want to use my legal name i haven't changed my legal name to my new name i need help because i'm a woman not a man and i'm being real not fake
tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
103 of 109

Hi Camila,

I can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
ailan_maciel
Ailan M Member Since: Mar 1, 2021
104 of 109

My name was misspelled, it's now "Maclel" but my name is "Maciel". I also went to the help desk and found out that the name needs to be the same as my payment account, but I use my social name and not my civil name (I am a trans person), how should I proceed?

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
105 of 109

Hi Ailan,

I've shared your concern with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
corishoe
Cori S Member Since: Mar 15, 2021
106 of 109

My name is Cori. I am a trans non-binary guy. My birth-given name is Corinne.

I explained each of these things to Upwork.

I have also completed I.D. verification with the platform, so I am clearly whom I say I am.

Still, they are not allowing me to connect my PayPal to my account because my name is Corinne on PayPal and Cori on Upwork.

This is deeply frustrating on a number of levels.

#1 "Cori" is clearly a nickname for "Corinne." I don't need to explain this.

#2 It is well-known that for many in the LGBTQIA+ community, the name on their credit, debit or PayPal does not reflect their true identity. It's literally the reason why Mastercard and some other financial institutions will allow you to use your chosen name on your accounts, despite it not reflecting your I.D.

So what's the problem here, Upwork?

Has anyone else run into this issue?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
107 of 109

Hi Cori, 

Thanks for reaching out. Please allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know through your support ticket if any further steps are required from you.

For your second point in your post, we understand that this may be an issue for our LGBTQIA+ friends, and we'll be happy to help you further if this doesn't get resolved after 24-hours. 

As for identity verification on Upwork, I'd like to share that we do have several verification processes. We do try to limit the number of times we ask users to verify their identity. Sometimes, however, we need to ask again. This practice is just one part of our efforts to help keep Upwork safe. Please note in the future, we may ask you to verify your identity again as part of our ongoing effort to keep Upwork secure and fraud-free.

~ Avery
Upwork
curve-design
Uros T Member Since: Feb 3, 2021
108 of 109

I have the same problem as many others here. 

I have just added my payment method and it does not match the name on my UpWork account because I am a transgender man. 

I would need this to be resolved asap because I need the balance to be available on my PP account by the end of the month. 

What should I do? 

Thanks. 

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
109 of 109

Hi Uros,

Rest assured, our team will assist you further with your payment method. One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible where you can continue communicating with our team directly. If there's anything else I can assist you with, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS