🐈
» Forums » Support » Identity Verification When Transgender
Page options
v_scott
Community Member

Identity Verification When Transgender

Hi, I'm a transgender freelancer who would like to verify that I live in the US, but I don't want to use my legal name for obvious reasons and would rather use my preferred name. Is there any way I could get verified while still using my preferred name? Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Alex,

There most certainly is! Upwork will make exceptions for transgender individuals who are in the process of transitioning but have not been able to obtain a name change due to legal or other barriers. Documentation may be required and so, it would be best if you reach out directly to our support team so they can assist you within a private and secure channel of communication. 

How do I reach a human in customer support?

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

190 REPLIES 190

Hi, I need to be verified, and I have searched everywhere but can't find any sort of support contact that isn't a bot. Can support reach out to me soon; if not, where do I go or who do I talk to to have my payment method verified under my preferred name? I'd greatly appreciate some help.

Hi Lance,

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't heard from our Support team yet. I followed up with our team so they can reach out to you today.

~ AJ
Upwork
b06777ce
Community Member

About what the title says. I was surprised that there wasn't an option or something to tick when setting up payment operations. 

Hi Jacqueline,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your request with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

I'm just curious - how are these preferred names verified if there are legal disputes?  I would like to know more about how Upwork is keeping track of legal entities in the event that I perform work for a client who is using a ficticious name as their "preferred" name instead of their legal name?  Thanks

a85236cd
Community Member

Just noticed upwork made an error on my verified name, they put an 'Sick' instead of 'Dick**Edited for community guidelines**'. I know it is weird, but my real name is**Edited for community guidelines**.

I am a freelancer, and i will not be able to withdraw my funds if the problem persist.

Hi Nintai,

I checked your account, but I do not see any limitations on the account. Please feel free to let us know if you need help. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

He is saying his real name is different from the name on his account. 

a85236cd
Community Member

I verified my ID, but my verified name is different from the name on my ID

Hi Dick,

I have escalated your concern to the appropriate team for further review. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket. You may check here or your email for updates and further assistance with the verification of your account.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c126c643
Community Member

Hello, I have the same concern. I would also like to request a different display name.

Hi Benjamin,

Thank you for your message. I have escalated your concern to the appropriate department and one of our team members will reach out to you via a support ticket with assistance. You can check here or your email for updates. We seek your patience and understanding while we address your concern.

~ Arjay
Upwork
46b6ea2f
Community Member

Hello, 

I'm transgender and my the name on my billing info is different from the name that I'd like to use for my Upwork account. It's important to me that my clients use my correct name. I've tried getting it changed on my profile by editing it in my account, but didn't recieve a response from the upwork team approving my name change. The name on my profile is still incorrect. 

How can I get my name changed to the correct name even though my billing info has a different name on it?

Thanks, 

Olive

Hi Sara,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
d97f18ad
Community Member

Hi! I am a transgender male named Champ F. It is my preferred name, but I don't have a proof of name change document for that. And the bank account which i plan to use has my legal name. Can I continue my preferred name for my profile or would I have to change it to my legal name? I'm asking because I am planning to continue to be a freelancer on Upwork and I am planning on linking my bank account when I get paid; but I also want to be respected as who I am, as well as what I prefer to be called please.

I would recommend you to go with legal name, because later, you will need to verify yourself, would need legal documents to prove it, so it's better to not take risk.

Hi Champ,

You can use your preferred name or a variation of your name as your profile name. You may still need to verify your profile with your legal name and that will show on your invoices and contact for legal reasons, but your profile can still display your preferred name. Someone from our team has reached out to you via a support ticket to assist you further with this. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
75701e56
Community Member

Hey, it's been since january that I added my bank as a new payment method and I have been told that the beneficiary name is mismatched. How can I resolve this long lasting problem???

change your profil name to your bank name. The same way it appears on your bank account that should fix the issue.

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Arjay
Upwork
corishoe
Community Member

My name is Cory. I am a trans man. My birth-given name is Corinne.

My current profile name is "Cori." I want to change it to "Cory" ("y" instead of an "i") because it's more masculine. I am violating zero guidelines as you can see:

• "Use a name that you go by in real life" -- everyone knows me by "Cory" in my personal and professional life
  • "Do not use single letters or initials — to protect your privacy, we’ll display your last name as an initial on your public profile, but you need to enter your full name" - obviously not violating this
  • "Your verified name in Upwork must still match the name on your payment account, even though your profile name might be different" -- not violating this
  • "Do not use a name that is abusive or discriminatory" -- obviously not violating this
  • "Do not misrepresent your identity or pretend to be someone else. The name you use should be what you use to represent yourself in real life" -- obviously not violating this
  • "Do not use a company name or a name that describes your work instead of who you are (such as calling yourself “SEO Expert” or “Data Analyst”)*" -- obviously not violating this
  • "You cannot transfer accounts from one person to another" -- obviously not violating this

Yet my name change request has been denied. So what's the problem here, Upwork?

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Sorry, it looks like I spoke too soon.

Hi Cory,

I'm sorry if this caused you any confusion or inconvenience. I want to clarify that Upwork will make exceptions for transgender individuals who are in the process of transitioning but have not been able to obtain a name change due to legal or other barriers. Documentation may be required, so I'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further with this. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
7f246a66
Community Member

Hello, I am a transgender and my beneficiary name is different from my social name!  How can I open a ticket to show some documentation to prove it and solve this problem? Please help!

Hi Hiroki,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2a315ca9
Community Member

I've had a notification that my name on my bank details doesn't match my name on Upwork. That's because my bank details are still in my deadname

I'm sorting my deed poll tomorrow, but it's going to be a month or so until I have the documents required to update my details.

I understand this will delay getting paid, but will it cause other problems for my account in the meantime?

Hi Zoe,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
a57c3487
Community Member

I am also having trouble with this. Could you have someone reach out to me? I cannot manage to make a support ticket on my own

14701e8c
Community Member

Hello, 

I am transgender and I am having trouble linking my bank account to my account because my legal name is not yet changed to my profile name, can i get help from an agent?

Gwendolyn

Hi Gwen,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths