Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verification

danielcpwr
Daniel L Member Since: Feb 6, 2017
1 of 6

So, basically I got this message:

"Action required: Before you can submit job proposals, you must complete your identity verification video call with Upwork. You can initiate this call by chatting with an agent here." a few hours ago and it annoys the hell out of me. Like, what's the point? I've confirmed my profile days ago, email address, profile picture, portfolio, everything. I've even finished my first job, so I don't think it's appropriate to have my privacy invaded by chatting with a stranger (or in that case Upwork staff) since I did everything prior to that in order to confirm my profile, all I want to do is continue normally. Geez.

Is there any way to just avoid this? It's bugging me, I can't continue to apply to job offers and just started my second job. 

Best regards.

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
2 of 6

No, there isn't. It takes 5 minutes of your time.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 6

re: "Is there any way to just avoid this?"

Identity verification is completely voluntary.

Yes, there are different ways to avoid this.

You can:

- Stop using Upwork as a freelancer

[or]

- Continue working as a freelancer, but without the ability to submit job proposals

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 6

@Preston H wrote:

You can:

- Continue working as a freelancer, but without the ability to submit job proposals

No. Not for long, anyway...

alanhorenstein
Community Leader
Alan H Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
5 of 6

I've been working here for six years and Upwork just put me through the same thing. It's not a problem at all if you are who you say you are. 

This is a very rare thing; they should not bother you again for a long while.

The reasons are many: eliminating false profiles, busting people who have already created many profiles, recording a webcam feed for future reference in case a freelancer tries to clone himself, and generally assuring the veracity of the freelancer population.

You want real privacy invasion? Turn on the webcam feature in your time tracker! It will take a photo of you with every screenshot. I worked about 5,000 hours under that requirement.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Daniel,

Please note that you need to complete profile verification in order to continue using your Upwork account. I'm sorry you're upset by this request but it's a necessary step we needed to introduce in order to ensure the safety of our marketplace. You can find more information in the announcement Garnor posted.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS