🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Identity Verification
Page options
mrkeithhoward
Community Member

Identity Verification

Upwork can't give a straight answer as to why jobs worth less than, say, $50, require SIX contacts to apply. (Hint: It's so Upwork can make more money.)

Upwork's iPhone app doesn't really work.

And now, freelancers are not getting their Upwork messages either.

Why, exactly, should freelancers trust Upwork with their government ID information?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In all honesty, this forum is a great and often better place to ask, my only point is that you CAN contact them directly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Fixed price job worth less than $50 are 2 connects some hourly jobs i have seen that should clearly be 2 or 4 connects are still 6, but dont apply for those low budget ones if they dont make financial sense to you (HINT: upwork have to make money as they are a business just like any of us)

no idea about iphone app - android works fine.

we are getting messages generally, its a bug like all websites/companies have from time to time, im sure it will be sorted soon (if not already) 

What is it you think they are going to do with your ID?

Thank you for your reply.

I have seen jobs that are obviously cheap (but with no set price) set at 6 connects. That may not be your experience, but it is mine.

It is not that I believe Upwork will use my ID inappropriately. I just do not trust Upwork (or its third-party contractor) to guard our information adequately.

ALL sub $50 fixed price jobs are 2 connects - yes i have also seen some other obviously low price hourly ones for around 6 connects (i think it is usually as the client puts that it is long term work or 6+ months - often wrongly) it is annoying, but i just avoid those jobs and flag them as unrealistic expectations.

I dont know about how they guard your information, but chances are most of it is already leaked somewher or other anyway! if you dont trust them then there is not alot else you can do, but i would recommend removing any finances from the platform immediatly if they have asked you for it and you are not planning to provide it as i beleive they will restrict your account. - Though personally id just provide what they ask for - it was a very quick and painless automated process for me.

Thanks again for engaging.

Although it may well be true, the assertion that I should hand my ID info to Upwork because "chances are most of it is already leaked somewher or other anyway!" strikes me as pessimistic and fatalistic in the extreme, and, more importantly, no good argument for your position.

Also, stating, "I'd just provide what they ask for" is tantamount to saying that Upwork is holding MY money – money that I earned from MY OWN hard work – hostage. This seems to be an admission that Upwork can't be trusted to do the right thing by freelancers.

With the move from 10% fee to 20% fee, and then the requirement to spend money for the POSSIBILITY of making a few dollars (of which Upwork will take 20%), it is no longer worth it for me to be on Upwork. Honestly, there are not that many jobs here for me, and many if not most are posted by agencies that are charging their clients full price and paying the freelancer peanuts, keeping rates down for what SHOULD be professional work.

And now I'm supposed to share my personal ID information with this ENTITY that doesn't even respond directly to freelancers... the freelancers who PAY to keep this website running!? This company does not deserve our loyalty. Personally, I'd rather do without the few bucks I can make here than continue to support this UNRESPONSIVE, arbitrary and arcane corporate monster.

I really appreciate your responses; I know you mean well, and it's not my intention to argue. But the very fact that it is you, Jonathan, who are answering me, and not an Upwork employee, speaks volumes about the disdain Upwork has for the freelancers who built the business and who keep its coffers full. SMH, and not for the first time.

Keith H wrote:

Thanks again for engaging.

Although it may well be true, the assertion that I should hand my ID info to Upwork because "chances are most of it is already leaked somewher or other anyway!" strikes me as pessimistic and fatalistic in the extreme, and, more importantly, no good argument for your position.

The thing is - I dont need an argument for my position, i am quite happy and i'm meerly trying to offer another view to your own. To say it is pessamistic, well, truth be told, i dont actually beleive your info is leaked. However, i think the more pessimistic view is that of "I dont know if i trust Upowrk with my ID" (despite the fact you trust them to process all of your payments for any upwork earnings you have had)

Also, stating, "I'd just provide what they ask for" is tantamount to saying that Upwork is holding MY money – money that I earned from MY OWN hard work – hostage. This seems to be an admission that Upwork can't be trusted to do the right thing by freelancers.

Again, this is nothing of the sort - i am NOT saying they WILL hold your money hostage, i am meerly advising that while you seem set on not providing the required identification to prove you are who you say you are, i am also aware that Upwork limit account functionality for those that dont (as per the terms you agree on signup i'm sure) As such, i thought i would offer some friendly advice to hopefully save you any trouble in withdrawing when you expect to. - I have no doubt you will get what belongs to you, i would just rather not see a freelancer be inconveinienced in the process

With the move from 10% fee to 20% fee, and then the requirement to spend money for the POSSIBILITY of making a few dollars (of which Upwork will take 20%), it is no longer worth it for me to be on Upwork. Honestly, there are not that many jobs here for me, and many if not most are posted by agencies that are charging their clients full price and paying the freelancer peanuts, keeping rates down for what SHOULD be professional work.

I cant comment on the move from 10-20% as it has always been 20% since i have been here - though i am aware that anything over $500 earnings for the same client and the fee reduces to 10%.

That said, you are clear that the operation fees on this platform are to much for you, personally i make sure fees are calculated into my price so it is the client that is paying for them really. I dont go after agency work so cant comment on that though.

And now I'm supposed to share my personal ID information with this ENTITY that doesn't even respond directly to freelancers... the freelancers who PAY to keep this website running!? This company does not deserve our loyalty. Personally, I'd rather do without the few bucks I can make here than continue to support this UNRESPONSIVE, arbitrary and arcane corporate monster.

Actually, they DO respond to freelancers - if you have a genuine question as opposed to a general rant i see many many posts on these very forums with replies from Upwork representatives, furthermore if you have a specific operational query you can submit a support ticket, i have always had a fairly fast response (not that ive used it much).

There are way to many freelancers here and as mentioned before - its the clients that keep upwork going really.

I really appreciate your responses; I know you mean well, and it's not my intention to argue. But the very fact that it is you, Jonathan, who are answering me, and not an Upwork employee, speaks volumes about the disdain Upwork has for the freelancers who built the business and who keep its coffers full. SMH, and not for the first time.

It is me answering you because you haver posted on a public forum and not directly contacted Upwork - though i'm sure if you had a specific question thier reps would respond to this very thread. 

It is very clear that you have already made your mind up as you state you dont make enough from this platform, which i can totally sympathise with. However, there is many freelancers that do, and continue to do so - Upwork is indeed a business and also needs to create revenue and has certain duties - one of which is to ensure its users are - who they say they are (hence the verification)

I hope you succeed in whatever avenue you try next and wish you the best of luck.

Jon

Thank you very much for your thorough and well-meaning responses to my questions. I could not find a place on Upwork to submit a "ticket"; perhaps I am not as technically savvy (or patient) as others. Upwork directed me to this forum, and it was good of you to respond.

KH

In all honesty, this forum is a great and often better place to ask, my only point is that you CAN contact them directly.

Understood. Thanks.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

undefined:

Upwork can't give a straight answer as to why jobs worth less than, say, $50, require SIX contacts to apply. (Hint: It's so Upwork can make more money.)

Upwork's iPhone app doesn't really work.

And now, freelancers are not getting their Upwork messages either.

Why, exactly, should freelancers trust Upwork with their government ID information?

The mechanism that determines how many connects a job post requires, is a hot mess. (Because it's predicated on two variables--overall budget and job duration--supplied by the client, who usually has not much of a clue.) Just assume all proposals cost six cnonects.

The newly discovered message problem is a huge one. UW is admitting nothing (after slipping up initially and acknowledging to me that my problem is "more complex" and being referred to the technical team), but I suspect there is some world-class hustling behind the scenes.

If you don't trust them with your ID, I guess that's a deal-breaker. I don't know from iPhone stuff.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members