Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity theft & Blackmailing!

Highlighted
Md Delower H Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
1 of 4

HI

A client  ** asked for my government issued id & even my debit card and being fooled by her compelling speaking I sent those because she said that she is going to hire me but after getting those documents she told me to work outside of odesk.com but when I refuse she threat me that she is going to report to odesk.com including other freelancing sites to ban me forever. And the matter of fact that she asked to collect ids from other freelancers that is the job!! Certainly, I refused again, but she keep threating me by saying that she has all my ids and documents!

And odesk.com also emailed me that she is scammer and tried break into my odesk account!

So, will she be able to do that?

Thanks

*Removed by admin

Highlighted
Md Delower H Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
2 of 4

As far as I know she used use fake name & email to contact freelancers, creates job, so will she be able to report to odesk to ban me with different identity?

I am very worried about this! Please help me.

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
3 of 4

Please, please report this client and attach screenshots of your conversation where she is threatening you and asking you to work outside of the platform.  oDesk will take the appropriate action against them.  Also protect yourself, there's no reason a client needs a copy of your debit card for verification, and if you sent her a copy then go to your bank and cancel that card right away.  

Just as a side note, you can't post names of clients or their companies or any other identifying information.  It is against forum rules.

Good luck and get that card cancelled soon.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
4 of 4

"Also protect yourself, there's no reason a client needs a copy of your debit card for verification, and if you sent her a copy then go to your bank and cancel that card right away."

As already pointed out by Katrina, NEVER send such personal documents to clients! They can sometimes ask you to sign an NDA, but nobody should ever be allowed to receive a copy of your debit card. Always report those "clients", because they're 100% scammers.

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS