cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idle activity time is not logged by team app discussion

sticker_inc

Hi Upworkers,

This is a open discussion of the behavior of team app; whereas in some occassions but quite often to my experience, there are some 10 minutes slot that is not logged to working diary as there is too little activity to be recorded.

I am also aware that this is a precaution for client protection of hindering a not working hours but logged by freelancer.

However, due to the nature of my work on upwork as software quality assurance, I spend most of my time working not my desktop.  I work on mobile devices that most of the time I will be idle on my desktop with team app recording my activity as too little or even no activity in every 10 minutes time interval.  

To my observation, I often see that the last screenshot taken is more than 20 minutes.  Then I check my working diary and I find out that there are some un-logged times in my diary.

This problem is kind of sensitive as freelancer as well as client side as this will be an easy pick for misunderstanding.

Luckily, that most of client understand this and I am allowed to add manual hours, but some other clients are not. The will suspect me of not working and this is what worries me as well as making me uncomfortable.  

Workaround is that I need to keep using my desktop in the 10 minutes interval to make the team app keep logging my works.  

I am not sure with how to deal with this kind of situation but this is getting uncomfortable.  

Any ideas?

idle time log.png

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you are not actively using the computer with the time-tracking software running, then you need to use manually logged time.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bayu,

Please note that the Team app is not designed to track the sort of activity related to the tasks your working on, since you're working away from your computer. In order to protect your payment, consider setting up your jobs as Fixed-Price and creating multiple Milestones to correspond with the tasks you're completing. Please have a look at the following Help articles in case you're not familiar with this type of contract: here and here.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Untitled

Hi Vladimir,

Yes, I am aware of the type of hourly vs fixed price's nature.

And I am aware of this kind of risk too, however, I still choose for hourly rather than fixed price.

So this condition will be something that I have to bear in dealing with the team app designed behavior.

If you are not actively using the computer with the time-tracking software running, then you need to use manually logged time.

View solution in original post

Yes, that is the only option that I have.

However, it is not comfortable as I try as hard as I can to avoid manual hour due to integrity reason.

In addition, there are clients who disable adding manual logging too.

mandylula
Community Guru

@Bayu A wrote:

..................  Luckily, that most of client understand this and I am allowed to add manual hours, but some other clients are not. The will suspect me of not working and this is what worries me as well as making me uncomfortable.  ..................

@Bayu, is it possible for you to estimate the hours needed before starting a job?  If so, and you have a client that is not happy with manual hours, could you calculate a possible total fee (hours @ rate) and allow the client to cap the hours?

That, together with an explanation of why you do not do all the work on the computer should set a prospective client's mind at ease(?).

It is possible but again, this is just an integrity reason that I avoid making manual logging as well as avoiding pontential complain from client

@Mandy D wrote:

@Bayu A wrote:

..................  Luckily, that most of client understand this and I am allowed to add manual hours, but some other clients are not. The will suspect me of not working and this is what worries me as well as making me uncomfortable.  ..................

@Bayu, is it possible for you to estimate the hours needed before starting a job?  If so, and you have a client that is not happy with manual hours, could you calculate a possible total fee (hours @ rate) and allow the client to cap the hours?

That, together with an explanation of why you do not do all the work on the computer should set a prospective client's mind at ease(?).

not sure the app has a mobile platform?

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "

@Jutta B wrote:

not sure the app has a mobile platform?

there is no time tracker for mobile devices, no.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS