🐈 Community
kissgabor2030

Idle contracts period that causes negative JSS

Is there a set time period for idle contracts (say, x days/weeks), that, when it's passed, starts to hurt the JSS percentage? I have got 2 of such contracts, but the clients expressed that there will be more work for sure by each of them, so they would like to keep them open. Can a client somehow "update" a contract, so that would reset the idle time, even if there is currently no new work? Thank you many times!

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r

There are endless freelancers with large numbers of clearly "in a coma" contracts and 100% Success score.

Personally I try and get such contracts closed as it takes 2 mouse-clicks to rehire me if there is work in the future.

When clients do not want to do that I tell them I require a monthly retainer, such as l9ogging 10 minutes of time (to stop an hourly contract from auto-pausing) or a fixed rate milestone of $ XX.XX to be set up and released.

As to "what can the client do to stop it from "aging out?" = Allow logging of "retainer" time or set up milestones to be released as retainers.

As to how long before an inactive contract starts to smell? It seems that it's at least 3 months, possibly longer.

testsandeep

Contract should not be idle for more than 2 months. There should be some activity once in two months period. Atleast that is what i have understood from JSS threads. 

@Sandeep C wrote:

Contract should not be idle for more than 2 months. There should be some activity once in two months period. Atleast that is what i have understood from JSS threads. 

That is not what I have seen, or experienced, or can tell from looking at profiles. It seems crystal clear that it won't hurt for at least 3 months, and almost certainly longer.

The problem is that the longer something sits idle, the less likely it becomes to come back to life.

Projects change, get abandoned, or taken over by other people. Clients run out of money, change jobs, start other projects, or get run over by a bus.

That's why it makes sense to either make it crystal clear that you will charge a monthly retainer to keep the contract open (resets the clock every time) or get them closed in a timely manner.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gabor,

We won't be able to share the specific time frame, please follow the method Petra described in order to prevent your open contracts from becoming inactive.

Untitled
Learning Paths