🐈 Community
cparker31

If I end a contract with an unresponsive client, will that reflect poorly on my job success score?

I haven't heard from this guy since I submitted the first portion of the project.  I've tried messaging him to no avail.  I don't know what's happening on his end (especially since it once showed he was online as I sent a message), but I don't believe that any possible negative feedback from him should impact my reputation.  But even if he doesn't leave feedback at all, coul that still harm my job success score?

11 REPLIES 11

@Christopher P wrote:

I haven't heard from this guy since I submitted the first portion of the project.  I've tried messaging him to no avail.  I don't know what's happening on his end (especially since it once showed he was online as I sent a message), but I don't believe that any possible negative feedback from him should impact my reputation.  But even if he doesn't leave feedback at all, coul that still harm my job success score?

Yes. It could harm your score. But, it depends on other factors such as:

Any other contracts you successfully complete and within the two-week JSS update period. 

If this is only one "no feedback given" as opposed to a pattern (that's Upwork's wording).

How long has it been since you submitted the first portion of the project?

It's been 3 weeks since I submitted the work. I haven't heard a word since then even though I've tried more than once to message him, both via Upwork and his email address. 

Christopher, did you submit the work using the "Submit work and request payment" button? Or did you just send it in a message to the client? Upwork will automatically release the milestone 14 days after you submit the work, if the client does nothing.

If you haven't already submitted it with the "submit work and request payment" button, you should do that now. Then at maximum you'll have another 2 weeks to wait.

fhade

Send a messsage and then end contract after a few days. Don't concern yourself too much about the score. Focus on finding and doing more quality projects and the score will take care of itself.... slowly over time....

Recently I sent a message and ended a completed project but the client got back after I ended a contract mentioning he will need my help again soon.  😛

This is so unfair though. The Client who suddenly disappeared can leave you a bad feedback, but if you don't close the contract it still can affect your JSS or he may come back and suddently set a milestone out of blue without discussing it with you first. Upwork should be handling it better.

Exactly.  And since I'm new, I'm trying very hard to build a solid reputation.  But with already limited feedback, a situation like this won't help.

@Iga F wrote:

This is so unfair though. The Client who suddenly disappeared can leave you a bad feedback, but if you don't close the contract it still can affect your JSS or he may come back and suddently set a milestone out of blue without discussing it with you first. Upwork should be handling it better.

Upwork is not in the business of being "fair".  They're in the business of making money.  The only reason the new JSS came about was because people were gaming the star rating system.  If you want to blame someone, blame the clients and freelancers who were gaming the system and forced Upwork to come up with stricter guidelines. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

I can only hope such is the case for me.  The only reason that I'm concerned about the score is that I'm new with only 7 feedback.  One of those feedbacks was less than ideal, so my Job Rating score is under the coveted 90%.  If I get another feedback, chances are pretty high that it'd fall below 80.  The clients that I am continuing to acrue don't seem willing to end contracts either, though that's typically because they want to keep providing me with work.  Not that I'm complaining, but those don't contribute to building my feedback as a new freelancer. 

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christopher, 

Please take note that all the money that's currently funded in Escrow will be refunded to the client if you close the contract. You may need to try communicating futher with the client and either ask them to close the contract and release payment for the work that's already been done.

One idle contract  or contract without feedback will not affect your JSS negatively.

~ Avery
Upwork

Unfortunately, I've tried contacting him several times over the past 3 weeks.  One some of those ocassions, I even sent a message while the system showed him as being online.  The real concern with my JSS is that I'm new and only have 7 feedback (and one of those was less than ideal due to a time zone misunderstanding).  One more negative feedback, and I'll fall under 80%.  

rjaycreative

I am currently dealing with something similar that happened to me, well happening, hit the Submit/Request Payment Button to give him 2 watch client get back to you quickly. It gives them 14 days to request changes Man LOL or funds automatically go to you.

On a serious note you don't want to keep this guy, whether you decide to try the above or not. My two contracts have run for months with thisi similar client and it has harmed by Job Success Score, so trust me hwen I say you do not want to deal with this.

Learning Paths