🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » If I set my profile visibility as Private ?
Page options
rajender0911
Community Member

If I set my profile visibility as Private ?

Can anyone give me information regarding my query, if I make my profile private and I've an ongoing project with my client then, is there any possibility that any other freelancer or client or an agency can view my profile and my clients that I've worked with, what I'm referring is I want to make it private so no other upwork user can search my profile that in what project I'm working on.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
michael_skaggs
Community Member

What you're asking is exactly what the visibility options are designed for.

• PrivateOnly you (or clients you send proposals to) can see or find your profile.
  • Upwork Only: Your profile is visible and searchable, but only to users with an Upwork account.
  • Public: Anyone can find or view your profile.

So once you set your profile to private, the only people who can see your profile are those you send a proposal to. You will also receive no invites, since your profile won't show up in search results.

However, once you change it to something else, your profile will become visible again until you set it back to private.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
michael_skaggs
Community Member

What you're asking is exactly what the visibility options are designed for.

• PrivateOnly you (or clients you send proposals to) can see or find your profile.
  • Upwork Only: Your profile is visible and searchable, but only to users with an Upwork account.
  • Public: Anyone can find or view your profile.

So once you set your profile to private, the only people who can see your profile are those you send a proposal to. You will also receive no invites, since your profile won't show up in search results.

However, once you change it to something else, your profile will become visible again until you set it back to private.

Michael S wrote:

So once you set your profile to private, the only people who can see your profile are those you send a proposal to.

... and anyone who has the direct link, such as any past clients or anyone who bookmarked it...

Petra R wrote:

Michael S wrote:

So once you set your profile to private, the only people who can see your profile are those you send a proposal to.

... and anyone who has the direct link, such as any past clients or anyone who bookmarked it...

True, but he seems more worried about randoms finding it.

What if I have an ongoing hourly job? Will it remove my job if I set it to private or my job will be retained?

Emmanuel A wrote:

What if I have an ongoing hourly job? Will it remove my job if I set it to private or my job will be retained?

Your job will be fine, it will have no effect at all.

Can a client who wants to sent me invite discover my profile the same way when i set my profile as Private from Public?

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sahil,

If your profile visibility is set to Private clients will not be able to find your profile. Only clients to whom you have sent proposals will be able to find and view your profile. To learn more about this check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Will a past employer see your profile when you are private?

Hi Joseph,

Yes, your previous client would be able to see your profile even if it's set to private.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
4423f7d7
Community Member

Hi will clients see my profile reviews and employment history if my account is set to private? 

Hi Gel,

Thank you for raising this query here in the Community. When your profile is private, we won’t show it in search results when clients search for talent. But yes, they will only see your profile if you submit a proposal for their job. You can still submit assignments, and you can also ask us to make your profile public again. You may check this help article to learn more about how it works.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members