🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » If a contract is suspended, can it be closed?
Page options
joansands
Community Member

If a contract is suspended, can it be closed?

I am wondering if anyone has experience with my question.

13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Joan S wrote:

I am wondering if anyone has experience with my question.

Of course. Any contract can be closed.

mekailbd
Community Member

Thanks for your question.  If you/your client want to close then you can. 

Note: If your client does not provide feedback then it will affect your jss. Make sure with your client.

Mekail R
petra_r
Community Member

Mekail R wrote:

Note: If your client does not provide feedback then it will affect your jss. 

Utter nonsense.

1. Contracts with money paid do not affect the JSS if they are closed without feedback.

2. Suspended contracts mean suspended clients. Contracts with suspended clients are excluded from the JSS calculation.

So, Petra, I am confused. I did a brief job for a client and was paid. Then the client was suspended, according to my job listing. But the client told me he doesn't see anything on his end about being suspended. He is new and never had a contract before mine. If he now closes the contract, although on my end it says he is suspended, will his feedback not affect my JSS?

Joan, why don't you just close the contract yourself? You've been paid, what's the issue?

Edited to add: I see the contract has been closed and feedback left already. If the client is in (rather than "from" as you say in your feedback response) a restricted country then yes, that client will have been suspended. Being "from" a restricted country is not grounds for suspension (or an appropriate factor to include in a feedback response for that matter) and that makes your feedback response come across somewhat..... well ..... let's just say "problematic" - especially as it's not the first time you referenced a client's country of origin in response to feedback.

Petra - The implication I made is that the client's native language is other than English and his English was not good. I am beginning to think I will not accept jobs from people whose English is not their native language as they don't know what good English is. I had hoped I would really be able to help such people. 

Joan S wrote:

Petra - The implication I made is that the client's native language is other than English and his English was not good. I am beginning to think I will not accept jobs from people whose English is not their native language as they don't know what good English is. I had hoped I would really be able to help such people. 

It can be challenging to communicate with precision and nuance when one party is operating in a second language. At the same time, there are plenty of people who use English impeccably even though it is not their native language and saying that people whose first language is not English "don't know what good English is" makes you sound chauvinistic and of limited experience yourself. That said, it seems you are not comfortable (or effective) communicating with people in other countries which makes it a reasonable choice not to accept contracts that require it. That will save time, money, and energy for you and for those clients.

Phyllis - I did not mean to imply that all people who don't have English as a native language don't know what good English is. That has been the case, in my experience for some, but I have had clients from various areas in the world who do have good English or know what that is. As for my experience, Phyllis, it is not limited as you suggest. And, since you know little about me, it is not appropriate for you to make any comment about what I am comfortable with.

Joan S wrote:

And, since you know little about me, it is not appropriate for you to make any comment about what I am comfortable with.

Joan, all Phyllis has to go on is what you said and how you said it. Together with those really unfortunate responses to feedback that says something. That may not be what you want to say about yourself, yet here we are.

Personally I think those responses will either harm you or attract quite the wrong kind of client, actually...

I'm happy to say, Petra, that I have some really great clients.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed for Community GuidelinesPlease be mindful of the Community Guidelines and avoid making personal attacks.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
nibal-soubhye
Community Member

My account was suspended 2 days ago. Unfortunately, all the work that I was working in was automatically withdrawn, and I am no longer able to communicate with any client. But with the help of the upwork customers, my account returned to work and I was able to communicate with clients but lost all the offers that I was working on. And here I am now starting over

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Joan, Nichola and others,

A number of posts were removed from this thread as they were off-topic. I'd also like to note that our Community Guidelines do not allow interpersonal disputes and public accusations of misconduct. If you'd like to report any content or activity, please do it directly and privately by using flags and tools described in this help article 

We'll also be closing this thread from further replies. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members