cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a job/project shows someone was "Hired" below the details, is that project no longer open?

johnhammell
John H Member Since: May 4, 2016
1 of 46

I'm new to Upwork and have been reviewing a lot of jobs/projects in the past two days.

If a job is still in the job search results, does that mean the job is still open / unfilled?  Often there are simple projects where it shows below the details that someone was "Hired."

Does that mean the job is no longer active?  If so, then why do jobs like that still show in the search results?

I need some clarification on this as I do not want to be wasting credits for connections by making proposals for jobs/projects which have already been filled.

Thanks,

John

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 46

Some clients either hire more than one freelancer and/or leave the job open because they are not sold on the freelancer they hired.

taustinray
Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
3 of 46

@Mary W wrote:

Some clients either hire more than one freelancer and/or leave the job open because they are not sold on the freelancer they hired.

Except for the fact the contracts, one agreed to and the job awarded, are between the client and *that* freelancer. They just can't take me off a contract and put you on it. What if there were milestones already paid? What if it's an hourly project and money is still being processed. Then there is any disputes that client might have with the freelancer or vice versa which is now why they are looking for a new freelancer. Again that contract is now tied up in disputes. Any further work by anoher freelancer on that contract would be a horrible mess to figure out what part of that contract was done by freelancer A and what was done by the new freelancer.

You would take a contract between you and a client and just scribble a new clients name on it? No, because it's a binding agreement. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 46

Tom R wrote:

@Mary W wrote:

Except for the fact the contracts, one agreed to and the job awarded, are between the client and *that* freelancer. They just can't take me off a contract and put you on it. What if there were milestones already paid? What if it's an hourly project and money is still being processed. Then there is any disputes that client might have with the freelancer or vice versa which is now why they are looking for a new freelancer. Again that contract is now tied up in disputes. Any further work by anoher freelancer on that contract would be a horrible mess to figure out what part of that contract was done by freelancer A and what was done by the new freelancer.

You would take a contract between you and a client and just scribble a new clients name on it? No, because it's a binding agreement. 

You're mixing contracts and jobs. A client can open any number of contracts based on the same job posting.

chocolatier7
Ace Contributor
Saloria S Member Since: Apr 7, 2017
5 of 46

@Mary W wrote:

That mkes more sense to me. I was thinking the same thing becuase I was looking at the perfect job that fit my skills, but it's done by a freelancer but job is still open.

lakitel
Ace Contributor
Albert B Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
6 of 46

In most cases, if a job shows up in the search then it's still available.

If it says hired and yet the job is still listed, it's possible the client needs more than one freelancer. It should say under every job "x freelancers needed" in white with a green background. I'm not 100% sure how the system works, but I believe that a listing is considered as no longer available once the positions needed have been filled.

I would also advice that if it's a slightly older job, like for example three days or so, you should check the client activity to make sure that the client is still interacting with the job listing, as it does sometimes happen where a listing goes up, and the client forgets about it. Usually though, that's new clients to the platform who came to try and then decided not to go through with it.

If you stick with rated clients with a verified form of payment, you should be ok.

taustinray
Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
7 of 46

There is no clarification. The question about how jobs are staying open and accepting bids after someone was hired for the job has been speculated. Some say it's because the client needs multiple freelancers, but yet there is an option to say "I need X amount of freelancers." so if they say they need 1 why do they need to keep looking? Others say it's because it allows the client to not have to repost the job if the freelancer they hired doesn't work out. Which also doesn't make sense because everything is tied to that contract between the client and the freelancer. You just can't switch up freelancers on an existing project.

Really I believe this is a bug or just poor design. I noticed there was a job today that was still open for bidding even though it showed 1 Hired. Yet just below that it shows in the "Complete Jobs" list, already closed, paid out and freelancer feedback given. So what is the reason that this job is still open? It shouldn't be. Most would believe this is because it allows the freelancers to still submit proporals and burn up connects so they would have to buy more. It's a bit hard not to find this logic true. The only way you know the job has a freelancer hired is if you notice that "1 Hired" line mixed in with all the other proposal details. Why it doesn't flag it and highlight for people to see that it's been awarded, I don't know.

But perhaps the extra fees will pay for this to be overhauled to be something that actually works right.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
8 of 46

@Tom R wrote:

There is no clarification. The question about how jobs are staying open and accepting bids after someone was hired for the job has been speculated. Some say it's because the client needs multiple freelancers, but yet there is an option to say "I need X amount of freelancers." so if they say they need 1 why do they need to keep looking? Others say it's because it allows the client to not have to repost the job if the freelancer they hired doesn't work out. Which also doesn't make sense because everything is tied to that contract between the client and the freelancer. You just can't switch up freelancers on an existing project.

Really I believe this is a bug or just poor design. I noticed there was a job today that was still open for bidding even though it showed 1 Hired. Yet just below that it shows in the "Complete Jobs" list, already closed, paid out and freelancer feedback given. So what is the reason that this job is still open? It shouldn't be. Most would believe this is because it allows the freelancers to still submit proporals and burn up connects so they would have to buy more. It's a bit hard not to find this logic true. The only way you know the job has a freelancer hired is if you notice that "1 Hired" line mixed in with all the other proposal details. Why it doesn't flag it and highlight for people to see that it's been awarded, I don't know.

But perhaps the extra fees will pay for this to be overhauled to be something that actually works right.

Tom,

It is not a bug. It is the way Upwork intended it to be. There are jobs that have not hired anyone that are still open that are 3 years old. There are jobs that the client may hire someone and have agreed privately that is a test or temporary job, and then hire another person.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Jobs-Expiring-but/m-p/83907#M37359

Some jobs just don't get closed as the client is new and doesn't know how to close it. But there are many that they want to see how the person who hired them works out before closing the job. Even though there is a choice to hire for x amount of freelancers I have seen clients hire more then one off the same post without using the option that they want x amount of freelancers.

I was hired for a job awhile back that she hired three of us on a trial basis. Although this was not stated in the job description it was discussed with the freelancers during the interview.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 46

In all my job postings I always said I was hiring only one freelancer, but I often hired more than that. Sometimes it was my intention all along to hire multiple people. Sometimes I simply was really impressed by two different people and hired them both.

I have hired three to five people while saying I only wanted one. The most people I hired for a single job was about a dozen, but that was by private invite.

john_murdock
Ace Contributor
John M Member Since: Jun 15, 2019
10 of 46

Preston,**Edited for community guidelines**. If you might hire more that one person why not 'fess up and just say that in your posting. I am guessing that you have never been a freelancer and had to put up with this kind of mess.**Edited for community guidelines**

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS