cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a job/project shows someone was "Hired" below the details, is that project no longer open?

willbro9
Willi B Member Since: Aug 10, 2017
11 of 46

Though not a bug, it's still poor design.

Ok Upwork, here's how its done:

Add a conditional, Clients can't "hire" without closing the job. They can "trial" or "PoC" phase the job.

I would also add a sweet, friendly bit of text to the posting (required field, with a default "Job Open, Still Accepting Applications").  And give it options like "We hired someone to request a prototype (or more samples)" "We Hired somone and they are rocking it"

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 46

Thanks for the feedback, Willi.

When a client hires a freelancer for a job, they are asked if they'd like to close the posting or keep it open. Some clients choose to keep the posting open because they are planning to hire more than one freelancer for the project or may come back to it if the first hire doesn't work out. We'd like to give them that option.

~ Valeria
Upwork
catbill
Ace Contributor
Cathy C Member Since: Apr 17, 2016
13 of 46

You thank Willi for the feedback but don't seem to take it seriously. Willi suggests options that would help the contractor but your statement makes clear that the policy is to help the client, not the contractor. 

catbill
Ace Contributor
14 of 46

By the way, I have also suggested ways to make this less frustrating for contractors and there have undoubtedly been other recommendations too. Upwork does not appear to respect its contractors enough to either make these changes or explain why it is not willing to make them.   

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 46

@Cathy C wrote:

You thank Willi for the feedback but don't seem to take it seriously. Willi suggests options that would help the contractor but your statement makes clear that the policy is to help the client, not the contractor. 

How would it help the contractor to force a client to close a job rather than preserving the option of hiring an additional contractor (or more than one) later?

I've been hired after a client has hired someone else, on very good jobs. One of them was a $6,000 fixed price job. I'd hate to have missed out on that because some freelancers don't want to have to bother to check hires on a job before bidding and make an informed decision.

tlsanders
Community Guru
16 of 46

@Valeria K wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Willi.

When a client hires a freelancer for a job, they are asked if they'd like to close the posting or keep it open. Some clients choose to keep the posting open because they are planning to hire more than one freelancer for the project or may come back to it if the first hire doesn't work out. We'd like to give them that option.

Valeria, I 100% agree with leaving this optional. But, what do you think about offering the client another, similar option to close the job when closing the contract? It seems likely that clients who want to keep the job open at hiring might often be ready to close it when they've completed a contract, but either forget about it or assume that closing the contract will close the posting.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
17 of 46

Hi Tiffany,

Thank you for the suggestion, we'll share it with our Product team.

Untitled
catbill
Ace Contributor
18 of 46

Tiffany,

If the client is really open to proposals after hiring someone, then there should be a way to indicate that.  If they are not open to hiring someone else for a specific job,  but still wants more proposals, that could be indicated as well. Either way, we should know if the client really wants proposals or not and we should be able to filter jobs by this status.  

Not only would this spare the contractor from wasting time to submit proposals, it would help the client as well. Contractors would be more willing to submit proposals if they know that the client is open to them.

Upwork: When a client closes the post, don't they still have access to the proposals from those who applied? If not, why not? It would be really helpful if what the client sees and has access to were not so opaque to contractors.

It is time intensive and maddening it is to have to sort through numerous posts to find the ones that have not already been filled. Contractors should be able to know the status without having to open each individual post. 

Designing the platform to be more helpful for contractors is possible. This is not asking too much and might make me (and others) more inclined to use it. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
19 of 46

@Cathy C wrote:

It is time intensive and maddening it is to have to sort through numerous posts to find the ones that have not already been filled. Contractors should be able to know the status without having to open each individual post. 

I'm surprised by this. We're loosely in the same field, and I can't think of more than two or three times in the past 18 months when I've seen a job posting that was interesting and then discovered that someone had already been hired.

In some fields, hiring happens very quickly, but in writing/editing that is not usually the case (except at the extreme low end, which you are not). How often do you check the job feed?

catbill
Ace Contributor
20 of 46

That has not been my experience. Perhaps I search more categories or look at older posts more than you.

Either way, this is an issue that can be addressed. Do you really object if a change would make using the platform easier for people like me?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS