cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a job/project shows someone was "Hired" below the details, is that project no longer open?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 46

@Cathy C wrote:

That has not been my experience. Perhaps I search more categories or look at older posts more than you.

Either way, this is an issue that can be addressed. Do you really object if a change would make using the platform easier for people like me?

Honestly, yes. Upwork has serious issues with stability and bugs, and you'll often see regular users practically begging Upwork to stop adding features (most of which will also be flawed) and fix the infrastructure. 

After that's done, if Upwork wants to add conveniences that are only useful to some people, I obviously wouldn't have a problem with that--provided that they could find a way to do it that wouldn't both inconvenience clients and reduce job opportunities for other freelancers. But, we're a very long way from the platform being reliably functional enough to even think about focusing energy, money and dev time on "might be nice if" features.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
22 of 46

Agreeing with Tiffany. I don't have much difficulty identifying the jobs that aren't applicable to me and checking the hired number before applying. I purchased connects during my first few months at Upwork as I was still trying to find my niche and learning the ropes. But I don't think I've run out of connects in over a year.

I have learned to be efficient in making proposals and choosing gigs, that's just part of being a freelancer. If I were applying for jobs in the 'real world' I probably wouldn't know everything about the status of the job either. 

john_murdock
Ace Contributor
John M Member Since: Jun 15, 2019
23 of 46

I am in a different field (graphic design) and I see job postings all the time that are still active and also show that the client has made a hire. I believe all of this could be solved if clients simply had to say that the job is closed, or that they are still looking for additional freelancers and answer additional pertinent questions. They could just check a check box to implement this. It's really not complicated, but in absence of this simple solution look at the mess and misunderstandings this has caused and the hundreds of wasted hours people have spent commenting on this.

chocolatier7
Ace Contributor
Saloria S Member Since: Apr 7, 2017
24 of 46
Ooooookaaayyy....
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
25 of 46

John M wrote:

I am in a different field (graphic design) and I see job postings all the time that are still active and also show that the client has made a hire. I believe all of this could be solved if clients simply had to say that the job is closed, or that they are still looking for additional freelancers and answer additional pertinent questions. They could just check a check box to implement this. It's really not complicated, but in absence of this simple solution look at the mess and misunderstandings this has caused and the hundreds of wasted hours people have spent commenting on this.

Clients DO have to choose whether or not to leave the job open when making a hire.

billcorbin
Bill C Member Since: Dec 7, 2018
26 of 46

Shouldn't  transparency let free-lancers know whether a closed job involved at least one hire, or none? If the NONE percentage is very high, it means the wise free-lancer would be far more selective in submitting proposals to established Upwork clients.

Or am I missing something -- I have something like 50 proposals, 47 of which are CLOSED with no apparent indication of the outcome of the process.  What does this tell me?

sc0922
Steven C Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
27 of 46

It's not in Upwork's best interest to close the job, regardless of whether the client wants to keep it open or not. Upwork wants you to think you have a shot, that way you'll burn through your Connects faster and have to buy more through them. And now with this new policy where you have to pay to submit a proposal, it's only going to get better for them...that is until freelancers start their mass exodus from this site.

Think this through, Upwork. Just like with Uber -- when you piss off your talent pool by lowering their income potential, sooner or later they're not going to use you anymore. Short-sighted, to say the least.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
28 of 46

Steven C wrote:

It's not in Upwork's best interest to close the job, regardless of whether the client wants to keep it open or not. Upwork wants you to think you have a shot, that way you'll burn through your Connects faster and have to buy more through them. And now with this new policy where you have to pay to submit a proposal, it's only going to get better for them...that is until freelancers start their mass exodus from this site.

Think this through, Upwork. Just like with Uber -- when you piss off your talent pool by lowering their income potential, sooner or later they're not going to use you anymore. Short-sighted, to say the least.

Well, if a bunch just leave, I guess technically they've just increased my earning potential so clients don't have to wade through the trash. It seems to me like their *actual* talent pool isn't really pissed about this.

bundie702
Community Guru
Bettye U Member Since: Mar 6, 2016
29 of 46

I have noticed that as well. Last week I was offered a contract, and when I checked the job it said "Hired: 1." I ended up declining the contract (client offered me less than what I considered acceptable). So maybe it shows "Hired" if an offer is made, even if it's not accepted...?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
30 of 46

Hi Bettye,

No, only accepted offers count as hires.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS