cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a job/project shows someone was "Hired" below the details, is that project no longer open?

catbill
Ace Contributor
Cathy C Member Since: Apr 17, 2016
31 of 46

Because we pay for Connects, I believe that it is unethical to let freelancers apply for jobs when a position is no longer available.   It is also time-consuming and frustrating to sort through numerous listings that are no longer open.

When I first started, it never occurred to me that filled positions would still pop up.  So, I assumed that "Hires" in "Client Activity" refers to the number of positions to be filled.  Surely I am not the only one to have made the mistake of trusting that the system would make sense and be fair.   

The default should be that once someone is hired, job posts should no longer be available unless the client intentionally chooses another option.  Also, posts should automatically close after a certain period of time unless clients intentionally choose not to close them.  

Without waiting for an overhaul of the system, Upwork could make a simple, small change that would demonstrate a good-faith effort to increase transparency for freelancers.  They could clarify the status by changing "Hires" to "Hired" under "Client Activity."  I doubt that this could possibly be considered a difficult thing to do. 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
32 of 46

It's been a few months since I've hired someone new, but from memory when I hire someone I have the option to either "close the job and notify the other applicants" or to leave the job open. I always close it (and I *think* but can't guarantee that that is the default) but other clients may have their own reasons for keeping a job open.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
33 of 46

Even if they don't and the job remains open,  it usually shows as '1 hire' and then if you scroll down to jobs 'in progress' it will show if that particular job has been awarded - a bit of a workaround, but it is there. So  it is worth checking that bit before sending a proposal.

catbill
Ace Contributor
Cathy C Member Since: Apr 17, 2016
34 of 46

Yes, it certainly involves rigamarole that we should not have to go through.  

What is even more frustrating and inexplicable is that this important information should be in the supposed "Help" area but it is not.  It seems that the only way to really understand how this platform works is to spend precious time reading through numerous posts in these forums.  

A well-designed website should not require us to spend much time figuring out how the features are supposed to work and the company should provide insights that are easy to find. 

jasminelh
Jasmine L Member Since: Oct 21, 2016
35 of 46

@Cathy C wrote:

Because we pay for Connects, I believe that it is unethical to let freelancers apply for jobs when a position is no longer available.   It is also time-consuming and frustrating to sort through numerous listings that are no longer open.

When I first started, it never occurred to me that filled positions would still pop up.  So, I assumed that "Hires" in "Client Activity" refers to the number of positions to be filled.  Surely I am not the only one to have made the mistake of trusting that the system would make sense and be fair.   

The default should be that once someone is hired, job posts should no longer be available unless the client intentionally chooses another option.  Also, posts should automatically close after a certain period of time unless clients intentionally choose not to close them.  

Without waiting for an overhaul of the system, Upwork could make a simple, small change that would demonstrate a good-faith effort to increase transparency for freelancers.  They could clarify the status by changing "Hires" to "Hired" under "Client Activity."  I doubt that this could possibly be considered a difficult thing to do. 

Cathy, I completely agree with this. I hope UpWork sees this discussion page and specifically your suggestion because it is dead-on. These were my exact thoughts as well.
traductionjf
Ace Contributor
Jacqueline F Member Since: Aug 13, 2016
36 of 46

I agree with the person who wrote before: ---------- "When I first started, it never occurred to me that filled positions would still pop up.  So, I assumed that "Hires" in "Client Activity" refers to the number of positions to be filled.  Surely I am not the only one to have made the mistake of trusting that the system would make sense and be fair.   Because we pay for Connects, I believe that it is unethical to let freelancers apply for jobs when a position is no longer available.   It is also time-consuming and frustrating to sort through numerous listings that are no longer open."  -------

When I started in Upwork, I am sure that I have lost some bids also. Meaning that I am pretty sure that I have bid for projects that were already fulfilled. I trusted the system also. In the first 3 months at least I have to stop bidding for a couple of days at the end of the month because I have used all my biddings. It makes me mad when I realized that projects being assigned to some translator are still there.

I read all the answers here in this post a few minutes ago and I am surprised to find out that Upwork did not settle that problem. Maybe I misunderstood something.

Is there some Upwork employees (paid by Upwork)  here, that can give the exact reason why those jobs are still appearing under "find work" or "find jobs"?????????

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
37 of 46

re: "Because we pay for Connects, I believe that it is unethical to let freelancers apply for jobs when a position is no longer available."

Why do you pay for connects?

I don't.

johnhammell
John H Member Since: May 4, 2016
38 of 46

It's been 1.5 years since I first started this discussion thread. I'm glad to see that Upwork staff members have taken notice of the issue and that there has been good consideration of the issue by those commenting here.

The week I started this discussion was right after I joined and spent some time over the course of a week or two searching for projects and submitting proposals. During that time I came across many projects still open/listed despite already having hired a freelancer for the project (and no indication of the project hiring more than one freelancer).

This past week, 18 months later, I've returned to Upwork and have spent a bit of time here again (and did land my first small project which was a good experience). However, again I have noticed quite a few job/project postings that remain open for proposals despite the client having already hired a freelancer. Notably, the small project that I landed this week specified at the very top of the project details "Needs to hire 5 Freelancers," so I immediately knew that they were still open to hiring additional freelancers even though one was already hired.

Open projects that have already hired a freelancer, without any indication at all that they want additional freelancers, simply causes confusion.

When I see those projects I wonder if maybe the client has simply become unresponsive and is no longer maintaining their job listing, or maybe they hired a freelancer and are happy but do not know how to close out the listing, or as has been mentioned by others in this discussion, a least desirable possibility, that maybe Upwork leaves those listings open so that freelancers waste connects on already closed jobs and run out sooner so they purchase more with the intended result of generating additional $ for Upwork. Sorry to suggest that last point and I have no idea if it is actually happening, but I am simply wanting to express the impression/feeling I get when jobs are left open that have already been filled by a freelancer without any indication at all that the client is wanting to hire additional freelancers. There shouldn't be that type of uncertainty and it really is an easy fix. It's actually too easy to fix to leave it as is.

Maybe after the client hires a freelancer and they are given the option to keep the listing open, if they choose to keep it open they should be asked how many additional freelancers they want to hire. Then upon getting that number, the message above the job listing is updated to reflect the total number of freelancers that they want to hire ("Needs to hire # Freelancers"). So, in that case it goes from an assumed 1 freelancer being needed initially to being updated with a specific number. Better would be : "Needs to hire # Freelancers (# Hired)" as that way we would know immediately if the client needs more (maybe they need 5 and so far only hired 3, for example).

Alternatively, maybe the client is uncertain. In that case they should also be able to give an ambiguous answer since even that would be more useful & helpful compared to the current setup. "Needs to hire _additional_ freelancer(s)" would be good. Or, better yet, "Open to considering additional Freelancers (1 Hired)" would be significantly better. A client doesn't have to be needing additional freelancers to keep their listing open, because just considering additional is fair (maybe still open to consider in case they find a really great match) - but we should specifically know that is the case instead of guessing what the status is.

In fact, maybe the 'freelancers needed' message should be standard for every listing.

The default message for an assumed 1 freelancer needed might be simply "Needs to hire 1 Freelancer." Other options that the client could select might be "Needs to hire 1 Freelancer, considering additional." or "Needs to hire 1 or more Freelancers", etc.

Then after the first hire the client could indicate if they want a specific number of additional freelancers, if they are ambiguous and "Considering to hire additional Freelancers (# Hired)" or if they just want to close their listing to additional applicants.

And yet another possibility... would it be useful for clients to have a backup log of applicants just in case the freelancer they hired did not work out? In those cases is it fair to require freelancers to use connects? Probably not, especially not if there is no intention to hire others.

Logically, if the system can state "Needs to hire 5 Freelancers" that means the system can also state "Needs to hire 2 Freelancers" and if nothing is stated at all that sort of implies the absense of needing anything (since when other numbers are needed it is specifically stated), so we might even think zero freelancers are needed because there is no message, but it actually means "Needs to hire 1 Freelancer" when left blank. So based on that, when it's left blank it also means "1 Hired, no additional needed" because that is literally what happens at times... and if I confused anybody with any of this that is sort of what I'm thinking when I see open job listings with an implied 1 freelancer needed along with 1 hired but it's still open without any indication at all as to whether the job is open, closed or even abandoned by the client.

One last point, there is value in keeping closed job listings in the database. It does show the activity here and also gives new members a good idea of the types of jobs that are posted. But there should be a toggle option to not show closed/ended jobs in the search results. Personally, I do not want to bother looking at any jobs that are no longer open for new hires.

Very sorry for such a long post. Maybe someone on the dev team can take all the info/ideas offered here to improve this aspect of the site.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
39 of 46

@John H wrote:

It's been 1.5 years since I first started this discussion thread. I'm glad to see that Upwork staff members have taken notice of the issue and that there has been good consideration of the issue by those commenting here.

I don't get it. Has something changed? Seems like they haven't changed it. This doesn't bother me and I don't care, but I'm interested in if something has changed.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
40 of 46

I don't think anything has changed. OP is still convinced that Upwork is after his $2. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsxJfcFVnpo

Remember this? Better Off Dead (1985) - Paperboy - 2 dollars

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS