🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » If client is not happy?
Page options
therebelfilms
Community Member

If client is not happy?

Hi everyone! I am new on Upwork and I need your guidance. I am not asking only for this specific job but what to do if someone is stuck in a situation like this and I know I made mistakes but I am still learning.

The Job

I submitted a proposal for an hourly job and got invited for the discussion. Before the contract started I provided 3 animated logo mockups and he liked them and then asked me to create 3 more using the same concept but with more variations, after approving 6 styles I did with his logo he decided to hire me and liked my ideas. First, the contract was hourly, so he asked me how many hours I will require to make this logo animation which he said is the combination of the above 3 mockups. To be fair with him I said a maximum of 4 hours which I guessed roughly according to my speed, he converted my hourly contract to the fixed job.

The Issue

Now all the work is done and I followed all his instructions he is saying he is not happy and he is giving me all the input and work is not satisfactory, and it's taking too long. He changed his instructions several times and when I asked I am confused as your instructions are conflicting with each other he didn't reply and after 3 days he said I was busy and I am not satisfied with the job and you are taking too much time. I provided him almost 13 to 15 revisions according to the changes he asked and I even provided my ideas as well but he had a storyboard and I did exactly as he asked. 

My question

Should I file a dispute? And what I do in case the client provides bad feedback on purpose, but I have 100 percent job success and only 5 stars, is there a way for that too? Because I have already done a lot of work and I don't want a bad review on my profile. 

8 REPLIES 8
2a05aa63
Community Member

> Before the contract started I provided 3 animated logo

Never do this. Start working only after a contract is started. You can do very minimal work.

>maximum of 4 hours which I guessed roughly according to my speed, he converted my hourly contract to the fixed job.

When the job post has an hourly contract but the client wants to change it to fixed - it's a BIG red flag. The most likely know what they are doing. With fixed priced contracts below $600 disputes are useless because it costs $300. 

You won't get the money. The client most likely took your work and now is "not happy" forever so they don't pay. 
I suggest, you forget about the money. Close the contract, leave a 1 in the "would your recommend this client" survey, report the client for "asking for free work" and move on.

Thanks, Viacheslav. If I end the contract will he be able to leave the feedback? Which will affect my profile.

You should not say "the client is not happy."

You can not read the client's mind. You have no way of knowing if the client is happy.

What if the client is lying in order to manipulate you?

All that you can say is "the client claims to not be happy."

Another important concept:

It doesn't matter if the client is happy or not when it comes to his obligation to pay you for the work that he hired you to do.

If a client hires you to draw a picture of a cat playing the violin... and then you draw a picture of a cat playing the violin... it is the client's obligation to pay you for that work.

What if the client isn't happy? That doesn't matter. He still needs to pay you. He has the right to not pay you a bonus. He has the right to not hire you again. He has the right to leave honest, appropriate feedback. He does not have the right to not pay you.

You are right, I got your point I should not claim that he is not happy, yes he is trying to make an impression that I am delaying the work. On the other hand, when I deliver the work according to his previous instructions he got new ideas and was accepting the animations I was doing and I didn’t mind that as I wanted him to be satisfied. But when I pointed out that his instructions are changing with every new revision and as the work hours exceeded, I already did 12+ hours of work, His next message was that I am not satisfied with your work and you are taking too much time.

Now I don’t care about the funds I am worried about the review as it will damage my profile. Thanks for your guidance.

Muhammad A wrote:

Now I don’t care about the funds I am worried about the review as it will damage my profile. Thanks for your guidance.

Most people don't leave any feedback when you refund them everything, especially if their actual goal was to cheat the system and get something for free. Therefore you closing the contract is better, since they don't have to leave any feedback.

Muhammad A wrote:

Thanks, Viacheslav. If I end the contract will he be able to leave the feedback? Which will affect my profile.

If you didn't earn anything, then you cannot leave a text and star feedback, but you can leave the reason why you are closing the contracts and a "would you recommend working with this client" score.

therebelfilms
Community Member

Thank you, respected members, for your guidance. 

The total job was $50. He paid $15 for the first milestone after that when 2nd milestone reached which was also $15, he started saying that I am not doing it right.

I asked the buyer that I can give you a refund, and he asked me to give the animation source file so he can show me how it's done and he wants to get this project done and doesn't care about money. 

I gave him the source file and then also did more work according to his instructions. After one day, he simply asked for a refund for the money in escrow and said I can keep the money for the first milestone ($15). I simply accepted his request for the contract end. After that, he left me 3 stars without any feedback. This is my 3rd order on Upwork with review my first 2 are 5 stars with 100% satisfaction and those tasks were way complex than this one. After doing some research I get to know that if I fully refund the amount I can get these unfair stars removed from my profile so I refunded him as almost after 20 hours of work, giving source file to the client and he is saying I can keep $15 for his 3 stars. Didn't make any sense to me.

This was my 3rd job and I learned a lot from it. Please tell me how to avoid this situation next time and what I should not have done and what I should have done. So I can tackle situations like these in the future.

Muhammad A wrote:

After doing some research I get to know that if I fully refund the amount I can get these unfair stars removed from my profile so I refunded him as almost after 20 hours of work, giving source file to the client and he is saying I can keep $15 for his 3 stars. Didn't make any sense to me.

Refunding the client will remove the stars, but it doesn't remove the client's private feedback, which is what will impact your JSS the most when you qualify for one. 

Muhammad A wrote:

This was my 3rd job and I learned a lot from it. Please tell me how to avoid this situation next time and what I should not have done and what I should have done. So I can tackle situations like these in the future.

Next time, don't start working until the client has actually hired you, and don't do 20 hours of work for $15, unless you're happy to do 20 hours of work for $15.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members