cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If we withdraw a proposal, do we get the 'connects' back?

Ryan Craig B Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
11 of 16

Heres a situation that seems to become somewhat casual and normal here on upwork. And it needs to be addressed by the security team better.

I have had probably between 10-20 jobs that I have applied to, and used my connects that I pay for every month as a plus subscriber.

Then these "clients" message back and after a little bit of investigating on my part, I find that the client is masquerading as a business in a foreign country asking for work from people located only in the US. And of course, upwork does not advise taking work outside of the platform. Which I don't unless I have an already developed working relationship with the client or I know them personally.

But my issue is all of the wasted connects on "bogus" jobs that were only meant to steal MORE of my money. (Seeing how they got away with 2 of my connects) they got away with my money in two ways. I could have used those connects to apply to a REAL job that would provide me with REAL money, and of course, seeing how I pay for plus... I have now wasted several connects on bogus jobs.

Upwork team,

Please crack down on these clients and force them to verify before they are able to steal from us all...

Regards,

Ryan Berger

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
12 of 16

> I find that the client is masquerading as a business in a foreign country asking for work from people located only in the US. 

You are saying they're pretending not to be US-based? What do they gain from that?

> And of course, upwork does not advise taking work outside of the platform. Which I don't unless I have an already developed working relationship with the client or I know them personally.

More than advise, it's actually prohibited to take a client off-platform unless you have been working with them for over 2 years or pay the opt-out fee. Announcing you do so in public may not have been a wise move.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
13 of 16

You can always flag the job. If the job is removed from the platform, you will get your connects back.

Ipitec C Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
14 of 16

Actually legally Upwork is not allowed to restrict the ability of freelancer to work ofline with the people that they connect with on Upwork as that is a restraint of trade. Restictive covenants that disallow individuals from working with clients offline almost always void contracts regardless of whether the clause was agreed to or not. Essentailly "Canadian courts generally consider non-competition covenants in employment contracts to be “in restraint of trade” and therefore unenforceable. Canadian courts, like many US state courts, will not enforce agreements that prevent competition by a former key employee, unless an employer can establish that the covenant is reasonable, that is, it:

• „  Goes no further than is necessary to protect the employer’s legitimate business interests because it is reasonable in:

duration;

• „  geographic scope; and

• „  all other aspects (such as scope of activity covered).

• „  Does not unduly restrain the key employee from making use of their skills and talent.

• „  Is not contrary to the public interest."

(This article was first published in the Labour and Employee Benefits 2011/12 Volume 1 multi-jurisdictional guide)

2 years is generally seen as too long. Therefore unenforceable. 

Prabesh D Member Since: Jul 15, 2019
15 of 16

Exactly. This is what i got from someone in fiverr. I was not sure what i could do. Except block them. 

Isn't there a way to report them?

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
16 of 16

Hi Prabesh, 

If you are able to send me the user's Fiverr link through a private message, I can go ahead and look into this further. 

Let me know and I'll wait for your message!

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS