🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » If you are on an hourly contract can you char...
Page options
gavinmcgarryla
Community Member

If you are on an hourly contract can you charge your client fixed fee add ons?

I have several clients I do hourly work for but every so often they want a 1-off project for $100 or $200 that is a fixed fee. Is there a way for me to be able to send them an invoice they can pay via Upwork? 

I've looked but I can't seem to find a way to do it without starting another contract or just adding hours on from my current contract.

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Gavin M wrote:

I have several clients I do hourly work for but every so often they want a 1-off project for $100 or $200 that is a fixed fee. Is there a way for me to be able to send them an invoice they can pay via Upwork? 

I've looked but I can't seem to find a way to do it without starting another contract or just adding hours on from my current contract.

The client can pay a bonus. You can send an invoice and just ask them to pay as a bonus on the hourly contract. There isn't any function to send an invoice through Upwork, you'd basically have to issue one your side. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Gavin M wrote:

The client can pay a bonus. You can send an invoice and just ask them to pay as a bonus on the hourly contract. There isn't any function to send an invoice through Upwork, you'd basically have to issue one your side. 

deborah-ponzio
Community Member

I have two contracts with a client: one for a fixed-price task, the 2nd one for an hourly task. Each with its agreed tasks and deliverables. It seems to work for now although I'm pretty new here and am interested in reading more on this topic. 

Deborah P wrote:

I have two contracts with a client: one for a fixed-price task, the 2nd one for an hourly task. Each with its agreed tasks and deliverables. It seems to work for now although I'm pretty new here and am interested in reading more on this topic. 

I avoid having two open contracts with the same client. If things go sideways, the client gets two opportunities to destroy your JSS rather than just one, which you could neutralize by using the top rated perk. With a grand total of only 10 completed contracts, 2 big contracts going sour can knock your JSS into the low 80s and even using the perk would still result in the loss of the top rated badge.

Thanks Petra, I have a lot to learn in terms of survival strategy here 🙂 This specific client does not appear on my profile yet, nor our 2 contracts, we have started a few days ago. I He seems a nice and normal person to work with but I will keep my eyes open as you suggested. 😉

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members