cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imperfect job descriptions are waste of time and connections!!!

bueke
Büke S Member Since: Feb 23, 2014
1 of 30

One of the most annoying things on Upwork are clients, who are not giving 100% details about the job.
For example "We need a translator for our website" or "We need a translator" or " We need someone to proofread" is not enough, especially if you haven`t given any detail about the content, the genre or even the website itself.
This should be prevented by Upwork. There should be a form which has to be filled 100% to be able to post the job.
I am really annoyed that i have to waste connections for jobs like that.
"Then don`t propose" you would say but that´s not a solution. We are here to work and earn money.
And since my connections are limited, i am not ok with having to waste my connections because Upwork is negligent with clients.

I´d really like to file a petition or something to make Upwork work on this already.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 30

I agree with you on the frustration part, but clients are the same way outside of Upwork. It doesn't matter what platform, which company, what industry - there will always be clients who are incomplete in their requests, vague about their needs, and terrible about requirements and expectations. That's not something I expect Upwork to fix. I'm ready to spend my frustration points with Upwork on issues like technical glitches, upgrade gaffes, and UI improvements. 

View solution in original post

bueke
3 of 30
The problem is not that the clients are vague and incomplete at all. They know exactly what they want and need but they tell after proposing and that's not fair. They should fill out a form like: What do you need? What genre? What is the amount of words/pages? Link to the website? etc etc...because they always give perfect info about the hours the freelancer should have, the score they should have and many more. If not they won't fix that than a fair solution would be to get connections back when we get declined.
prospect39
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
4 of 30

Melissa's right.  Vague job descriptions are an age-old issue - and one that isn't going away any time soon.

I consider vague descriptions to be more help than hindrance. They serve as red flags that you should either: (a) avoid placing a bid entirely, or (b) post questions in the proposal and wait for a detailed response before bidding.

After all, what kind of clients post five-word descriptions, especially when they actually know what they want? Possible answers include: farmers and/or hard-to-work-with people and/or people on fishing expeditions.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 30

@Peter G wrote:

Melissa's right.  Vague job descriptions are an age-old issue - and one that isn't going away any time soon.

I consider vague descriptions to be more help than hindrance. They serve as red flags that you should either: (a) avoid placing a bid entirely, or (b) post questions in the proposal and wait for a detailed response before bidding.

After all, what kind of clients post five-word descriptions, especially when they actually know what they want? Possible answers include: farmers and/or hard-to-work-with people and/or people on fishing expeditions.

Agreed and by no means should anyone get their connects back if declined.   

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
6 of 30

I too wish that Upwork would prompt clients at least a bit more to enter (more) detailed job descriptions, ideally with customized description templates for individual categories (e.g. translation: field, subject, word count; similar in writing, editing etc.).

Maybe it wouldn't have to be a mandatory form, but suggested boxes to fill out and a friendly reminder pop-up thingy if clients choose to ignore it (a la: "Are you sure you don't provide details on XYZ? Professional Upworkers appreciate details and are hesitant to reply to vague job postings.").

bueke
7 of 30

Thanks! That´s my point! Clients should be able to post incomplete jobs!

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
8 of 30

Forgive my bluntness, but if a client puts up a junk job posting s/he deserves to get junk proposals. I don't submit junk proposals, so I skim right past those sorts of jobs. They let me know that's not a client I'd like to work with. Typically, clients who require so much training on things as basic as "include enough particulars about the job to garner decent proposals" end up costing me $ in the end because the time spent educating them outweighs the income generated from the job. Again, I understand your frustration, but there is no requirement to waste connects on junk postings. 

Junk postings attract junk proposals, probably low rates, and don't generate much income from the 10% Upwork charges. As an organization it's of little benefit to Upwork for them to invest time and effort into a platform solution to train bad/uneducated clients. Plus, I'd like that time and energy spent on making the platform more technically stable and less wonky on a day to day basis. 

vdubeau
Community Guru
Vince D Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
9 of 30

I agree that it can frustrating and makes it difficult to want to submit a proposal sometimes.

I've seen projects that are as simple as "I need a database for XYZ" and it has a fixed price of $200. If you do get the opportunity to discuss the project with the client it turns out XYZ is actually a complete CRM system or a way to track their complete manufacturing process. Needless to say this could actually cost thousands of dollars.

If I decide to apply I generally write a polite (sometimes long winded) request for more information or a chance to chat with them about the project. A lot of times it isn't because the client being vague. They really don't understand what it takes to create a database.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
mdrabik
Ace Contributor
Marni F Member Since: May 6, 2016
10 of 30

Respectully I disagree, ESPECIALLY when it's a voice over job. These are specific to gender 95% of the time, and when the gender is not expressed and we bid on a job it's a total waste of time for the proposal as well as the connect. These people know what they want and a simple "Voice talent needed MALE is all I need to know that applying is a waste. To say "don't apply" is not an option since the majority of these posts on the PMB follow this format. I believe our category is the one that suffers the most. It's a really simple fix.  I love the posts Young, energetic voice needed, one that people will listen to and take notice blah blah!!!!!  Well, is that voice, male or female?  If you care to write what you want it to sound like, at least say which gender, geesh.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS