cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imperfect job descriptions are waste of time and connections!!!

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
11 of 30

Those are the posts you should pretty much ignore ... as everyone says, it's usually a red flag (though not always).

If it's something you're really interested in, has your skill set, good pay, good client record, etc. etc. Simply make sure that you state clearly in your bid what your expectations are. I rarely bid on vague PDFs, but when I do:

"My bid assumes that client will provide blah blah blah and more blah blah. Should the scope of the project be considerably more than what is stated in the RFP, further information is needed so that I can place a more informed bid".

Clients that run from this kind of thing are not people you want to be working for anyway.

m_valens
Ace Contributor
Marco V Member Since: Apr 2, 2016
12 of 30

I think we've got a winner. 

The job title says 'Writer' and the job description says: "Writer." 

Man SurprisedRobot surprised

mdrabik
Ace Contributor
Marni F Member Since: May 6, 2016
13 of 30

So how would you handle the post that wants a "voice over for a video"  There is no mention of a male, female, older voice, young energetic voice?  As you can see it's impossible to bid on that type of post and there is a 50/50 chance you MIGHT get it right. Voice over is specialized when a certain type of voice is critical to the client. A male is needed if the product requries that, or a woman needed for something female related. This is such a simple fix when the client is putting up a request, what is the big deal here? This is imposible to determine and shame on the client and Upwork can fix this easily.

jijogeorge
Ace Contributor
JIJO g Member Since: May 28, 2009
14 of 30

Hi Marni,

I have witnessed this most of the time in upwork and I know it is very difficult to guess which one specifically they are looking. Most of the time incompleted job descriptions are coming from lazy and not serious people and it would be better to refrain from those ones as they won't have proper vision about the job.  Anyway if upwork takes a move to meet such silly fellows inside upwork, it will defenitely increase their reputation.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 30

I would not like Upwork to force this. I gather a lot of valuable information about a client by the nature and format of the job posting, and it would be more difficult to swiftly eliminate those I don't want to work with if they were forced to follow a particular format.

qqsolutions
Community Guru
Muhammad Saif U Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
16 of 30
I think it is better to flag such jobs as scam posts. We should work together to get rid of incomplete job posts.
prospect39
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
17 of 30

Forcing clients to use a particular format will do no good.

Elance tried it a few years ago.  As a result, many vague, three-word descriptions were replaced with longer - but just as vague - boilerplate paragraphs.  

In short, nothing changed.  You can't force lazy or non-serious buyers to provide adequate descriptions.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 30

@Peter G wrote:

Forcing clients to use a particular format will do no good.

Elance tried it a few years ago.  As a result, many vague, three-word descriptions were replaced with longer - but just as vague - boilerplate paragraphs.  

In short, nothing changed.  You can't force lazy or non-serious buyers to provide adequate descriptions.

lol I remember that. For a while, I thought some guy was creating many different profiles asking for the same thing. Took me forever to figure out DUH it's a boilerplate template. 

bueke
Büke S Member Since: Feb 23, 2014
19 of 30

It´s weird that all community leaders are like" No that´s a bad idea; That won`t change; I don`t know; We can`t",

well it´s not like those clients aren`t pros. They sometimes are they just don`t know how to put up a good job description. So Upwork should be pro enough to help them with this issue.

They can choose options like: Hours, Rates, Level etc. why not details about their job?

I am sorry "We can`t" is not a good answer!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 30

@Büke S wrote:

It´s weird that all community leaders are like" No that´s a bad idea; That won`t change; I don`t know; We can`t",

well it´s not like those clients aren`t pros. They sometimes are they just don`t know how to put up a good job description. So Upwork should be pro enough to help them with this issue.

They can choose options like: Hours, Rates, Level etc. why not details about their job?

I am sorry "We can`t" is not a good answer!

I didn't see a single person say "we can't." I saw a lot of experienced and successful freelancers say either "That's not necessary" or "that would be a negative for my business." 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS