cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imperfect job descriptions are waste of time and connections!!!

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
21 of 30

As Pete indicated - neither you nor anyone or platform is going to be able to change the issues of incomplete RFPs. 

If the job - as much as you can ascertain - is interesting; bid and ask questions. Explain in your bid that the quote is tentative contingent on more knowledge.

mdrabik
Ace Contributor
Marni F Member Since: May 6, 2016
22 of 30

In voice over you cannot do that, they either want a male or a female. This makes it impossible to bid.

mdrabik
Ace Contributor
23 of 30

I am no longer applying to any of these projects until this is fixed by Upwork. MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR problem for my category which is voice over. They do not indicate if a male or female is needed and that is absolutly critical to know BEFORE bidding on a job. I have blown through 40 connects in one month, only to receive an e-mail, "We liked your proposal, but we need a male voice talent"  What is so hard about making sure the client gives the propler information?  Is it because we are paying for these connects and it brings in more money when we apply blindly?  There can be no other answer.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
24 of 30

Thanks for bringing up this issue, Marni. I'll share your feedback with the team and see if we can add a required field for Male/Female voice for clients to fill when they post a job in your category.

~ Valeria
Upwork
mdrabik
Ace Contributor
25 of 30

Thank you !!!!!!!

bueke
Büke S Member Since: Feb 23, 2014
26 of 30
Totally agree with you Marni, it is not a hard job to fix this. The clients only have to fill a form with all information. I am done with wasting connections, because Upwork doesn't force the clients to be professional! All i hear is excuses!
natram
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
27 of 30

@Büke S wrote:

One of the most annoying things on Upwork are clients, who are not giving 100% details about the job.
For example "We need a translator for our website" or "We need a translator" or " We need someone to proofread" is not enough, especially if you haven`t given any detail about the content, the genre or even the website itself.

I agree with you Büke, I find them very annoying too. I don't mind short job descriptions but I do need certain information before I send a proposal to the client. It doesn't take hours to write a job post. Even a one-sentence job description can summarize the main purpose of the job and what is expected by the freelancer. So I agree with you, there is really no excuse for clients to write vague job descriptions. 

On the other hand, these job postings are red flags for me. If a client can't bother to spend a couple of minutes to write an informative job description, then obviously they don't care about the quality or their business. They are more likely to attract the wrong kind of freelancers and end up with a mess. I don't waste my time with such clients. However, I do understand your concern about wasting your time and connects. 

standdsf84
Ace Contributor
Stanislav D Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
28 of 30

Yes, dear, I totally agree with you. I see that we are in the same field so maybe I can give my opinion here. Talking about translations I can say there is indeed a waste of connects. For example clients don't explicitly state in their job posting that they are looking for a native speaker to do the job (translation). I have absolutely no problem with that. They can look for whomsoever they like- Santa Claus or Tom Sawyer, but they should mention that so that no one wastes his/her connects. This is very irksome and I think we are all professional people, who don't deserve such an approach.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
29 of 30

@Stanislav D wrote:

Yes, dear, I totally agree with you. I see that we are in the same field so maybe I can give my opinion here. Talking about translations I can say there is indeed a waste of connects. For example clients don't explicitly state in their job posting that they are looking for a native speaker to do the job (translation). I have absolutely no problem with that. They can look for whomsoever they like- Santa Claus or Tom Sawyer, but they should mention that so that no one wastes his/her connects. This is very irksome and I think we are all professional people, who don't deserve such an approach.

As a translation client, I would say that in general it's probably safe to assume that translation clients are looking for native speakers of the language...They might compromise if their budget is very low though, I guess.

anamariacuesta
Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
30 of 30

Hi,

I agree that in some categories, such as translation, it would more than valuable to know the amount of words. From time to time it would help to avoid surprises... 

And maybe, and only maybe... it would be a good first step before implementing a minimum (decent) price per word. (Yes I know I am dreaming). 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS