Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Updates to our Terms of Service

Highlighted
Raza A Member Since: Dec 4, 2019
31 of 55
Hi,

I got an email from Upwork stating they're updating their terms of service and 'clarifying permissible modes of communication'

Does this mean I cannot talk to my clients outside Upwork? Like Slack for instance?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
32 of 55

Raza A wrote:

Does this mean I cannot talk to my clients outside Upwork? Like Slack for instance?

It means no such thing!

Pay attention to the word "unsolicited"

You are allowed to communicate with your clients and prospective clients in any way both of you agree to. Within Upwork, outside Upwork, Skype, email, Facebook, Whatsapp, by phone, in person, smoke signals, carrier pigeons, telepathy. You name it, it's allowed if mutually agreed upon.

You are not allowed to contact clients outside the platform in ways the client did not agree to be contacted in, nor may clients contact you outside the platform in ways you didn't consent to.

It's ultimately to stop freelancers hunting job posters down elsewhere and hounding them with "Sir, giwe me jobb in Upworkks" emails or messages etc which sadly happens all too often!

Highlighted
Benjamin W Member Since: Oct 25, 2019
33 of 55
I am happy to use the communication told supplied by Upwork if anything other than messages worked. I have tried numerous times to do the video and phone calling but it ended with a non-experience for both me and the client where we couldn't hear it see each.

With that being said, I wouldn't contact them on other changes without the client's explicit permission either. I just wanted to make sure the technical issues were brought up.
Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
34 of 55

Hi Benjamin, 

Thank you for sharing this with us. I would like to note that I have shared your concern with the team regarding the video/call feature of the Messages room/page so that our engineers can work on resolving this issue. 

As for the communicating outside of Upwork, I wanted to confirm that the new terms outline that if you meet a client or freelancer on Upwork we expect you will keep that relationship on Upwork, including making and receiving payments. You also agree not to spam or attempt to contact another Upwork user via a social media account, email address, etc. without their permission. If we learn a freelancer or client is not following our TOS in most cases we will be forced to permanently close their Upwork account. As such, users are free to communicate outside of Upwork, provided both parties have given permission to be contacted outside of Upwork. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Cristian B Member Since: Aug 23, 2017
35 of 55

I can confirms that most of the times the Upwork video/audio call doesn't work. I think created a topic a long time ago this.

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
36 of 55

Hi Cristian,

Could you please send me a private message with the screenshot of the error you are receiving from your end so that I can check?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Juan H Member Since: Sep 21, 2018
37 of 55

Upwork recently updated some areas of their Terms of Service. 

I have a doubt when it comes to the conversations between freelancers and clients through Upwork's proprietary chat feature versus "outside" of Upwork. 

I quote:

"We are clarifying permissible modes of communication between individuals on our site to reduce unwelcome off-platform solicitation. We want to be clear that professionals and clients cannot make unsolicited contact off of the Upwork platform. While often well-intentioned, any type of outreach that bypasses our communication tools and safeguards without an explicit invitation from the other party can be perceived as unwelcome and a violation of privacy. Going forward, users who are found to be violating the privacy of other users in this way will be removed from using our service further."

- So, I can't have a phone call with my client? 

- I can't connect through Skype/Zoom/you name it with my client? 

Shred some light... thoughts?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Antun M Member Since: Jan 27, 2018
38 of 55

Juan H wrote:

Upwork recently updated some areas of their Terms of Service. 

I have a doubt when it comes to the conversations between freelancers and clients through Upwork's proprietary chat feature versus "outside" of Upwork. 

I quote:

"We are clarifying permissible modes of communication between individuals on our site to reduce unwelcome off-platform solicitation. We want to be clear that professionals and clients cannot make unsolicited contact off of the Upwork platform. While often well-intentioned, any type of outreach that bypasses our communication tools and safeguards without an explicit invitation from the other party can be perceived as unwelcome and a violation of privacy. Going forward, users who are found to be violating the privacy of other users in this way will be removed from using our service further."

- So, I can't have a phone call with my client? 

- I can't connect through Skype/Zoom/you name it with my client? 

Shred some light... thoughts?

Think that "..."cannot make unsolicited contact..." and  "... without an explicit invitation from the other party..." is important.

Suggests that yes, you can communicate with your client via Skype, mail, yelling from your home, sending him handwritten letters..
You can't do that IF you've stalked a client, if you don't have his permission to contact him.

Might be wrong, though.

Highlighted
Yasir K Member Since: Mar 5, 2020
39 of 55

Hello Goran so in case client is asking for skype ID for intereview so its not againts upwork rules so i can give the client my skype id correct. as my client asked me for my skype id for the interview 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
40 of 55

re: "in case client is asking for skype ID for intereview so its not againts upwork rules?"

No. That is not against Upwork rules.

Clients may ask for a Skype ID.

Freelancers may ask for a Skype ID.

You may conduct interviews via Skype.

re: "so I can give the client my Skype ID, correct?"

Yes.

You may give your Skype ID to anybody you talk to on Upwork.

If you have questions, go back and read this thread.

This "new policy" is not changing anything for honest people such as yourself. This "new policy" is simply clarifying the fact that Upwork users are not allowed to be pests by "cyber-stalking" other Upwork users, such as by looking up contact information for them and contacting them through un-solicited methods.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS