cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important Updates to our Terms of Service

Highlighted
Chris Q Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
51 of 55

So is it fine if I apply for a job and the client wants to discuss the details on the phone? Can I do that? The client has also offered to meet in person, but I didn't share any details regarding my location, so I don't know how he even knows that we are in "close" enough proximity to meet. I would never meet anyone from UpWork in person, maybe it's a scam? I don't know what to do at this point.

Also, can you point me to the correct location in the "Terms of Service" that would dicate the rules when communicating with UpWork clients?

WINNER OF THE 2019 JD POWER & ASSOCIATES WORDPRESS DEVELOPER OF THE YEAR AWARD Smiley Wink LULZ

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
52 of 55

Chris Q wrote:

So is it fine if I apply for a job and the client wants to discuss the details on the phone? Can I do that?

Yes

Chris Q wrote:

The client has also offered to meet in person, but I didn't share any details regarding my location, so I don't know how he even knows that we are in "close" enough proximity to meet.

Your location is clearly visible on your profile.

Highlighted
Mateusz S Member Since: Jan 15, 2019
53 of 55

Can someone from UpWork confirm that there were also changes to the Opt-Out system?

I believe before you could opt out from a project after 24 months or after paying a fee of $3.5k.

As I can see in the updated terms there is no mention of opt-out period and the fee was raised to a maximum of $50k.

If this was also one of the changes it would've been nice to include it in the summary too.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
54 of 55

Hi Mateusz, 

I moved your post to this thread since this thread is more related to your question. This change was announced in March 2020 through an email, and was in effect last 3-April. 

Our Conversion Fee (formally known as the Opt-out Fee) allows you to pay a one-time fee so you can receive or make payments outside of Upwork’s site without violating our Terms of Service. This way, you can continue to use Upwork to find new talent or clients without risk of suspension for not paying the Upwork fees you agreed to pay by using our marketplace.  The conversion fee will be 12% of a freelancer’s estimated 12-month earnings, based on hourly rate, with the minimum fee being $1,000 and the maximum set at $50,000.

In general, the fee is 12% of the freelancer’s estimated annual income based on hourly rate, with the minimum fee being  $1,000 and the maximum set at $50,000.

The hourly rate we use to calculate the fee will be the greater of these:

• The freelancer’s hourly rate on any Upwork hourly project

• The freelancer’s proposed hourly rate for any hourly contract on Upwork

• The hourly rate the freelancer lists on their profile

Our team will calculate the fee for you and answer any questions so you can determine the best option for you. Just let us know how we can help. You may also read more about this here. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
55 of 55

Avery O wrote:

Hi Mateusz, 

I moved your post to this thread since this thread is more related to your question. This change was announced in March 2020 through an email, and was in effect last 3-April. 

Our Conversion Fee (formally known as the Opt-out Fee) allows you to pay a one-time fee so you can receive or make payments outside of Upwork’s site without violating our Terms of Service. This way, you can continue to use Upwork to find new talent or clients without risk of suspension for not paying the Upwork fees you agreed to pay by using our marketplace.  The conversion fee will be 12% of a freelancer’s estimated 12-month earnings, based on hourly rate, with the minimum fee being $1,000 and the maximum set at $50,000.

In general, the fee is 12% of the freelancer’s estimated annual income based on hourly rate, with the minimum fee being  $1,000 and the maximum set at $50,000.

The hourly rate we use to calculate the fee will be the greater of these:

• The freelancer’s hourly rate on any Upwork hourly project

• The freelancer’s proposed hourly rate for any hourly contract on Upwork

• The hourly rate the freelancer lists on their profile

Our team will calculate the fee for you and answer any questions so you can determine the best option for you. Just let us know how we can help. You may also read more about this here. 

So how would this work for people who do not, and have never done hourly-paid jobs? According to the method described, a Conversion Fee in my case would be based on my posted hourly rate, but the only reason I have a posted hourly rate at all is because Upwork would not allow me to leave that field blank, so I entered the first amount that entered my head.

So, can you please clarify how this would work for contractors that only do fixed price jobs?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS