🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Impossible to use Upwork client for technical...
Page options
negrusti
Community Member

Impossible to use Upwork client for technical communication

Linux commands are blocked, SQL queries are blocked... - this is a ridiculous way to handle security. We need these to communicate meaningfully on technical issues. Please see an example attached.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Gregory:

It is not clear to me what you are talking about.

When you use the phrase "Upwork client"...

Are you referring to the Upwork web application?

Upwork desktop time-tracker application?

Upwork mobile app?

These are all "Upwork client" applications.

re: "Linux commands are blocked, SQL queries are blocked - this is a ridiculous way to handle security"

??

Gregory... what do you mean by this?

Most websites and mobile apps block raw Linux commands and SQL queries from being run against their systems from the outside.

Are you saying that you would like an Upwork application should allow additional outside access that it does not currently allow?
Are you saying that an Upwork application has insufficient security?

Please feel free to explain what you mean (without referring to an attached file or image).

I mean Upwork Windows desktop and Android clients specifically. 
And we should have the means to pass in the chat raw SQL queries or Linux commands, as is perfectly possible in Slack for example.

re: "I mean Upwork Windows desktop and Android clients specifically."

Thank you for clarifying what you are referring to.

re: "And we should have the means to pass in the chat raw SQL queries or Linux commands, as is perfectly possible in Slack for example."

Can you clarify which of these you mean?

a) When I use the Upwork client applications to exchange messages, it is difficult or impossible to copy and paste Linux commands or SQL queries, to share these commands with the people I am communicating with.

b) I would like to see the Upwork client applications have an open communications interface that allows me to directly pass SQL queries and and Linux commands through them, to retrieve data from the Upwork servers.

If you mean (a):

Then you are quite correct...

It is possible to copy and paste SQL queries and Linux commands into the chat, and send that...

But the Messages client applications are likely to alter the formatting of these commands quite a bit. Quite possibly rendering them unintelligible.

I have noticed this myself.

Sometimes I send screenshots (.png images).

Sometimes I send attached text files.

Or I use other communication tools, such as Slack.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths