🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: In Texas Weather Problems - Best Practice...
Page options
8183d251
Community Member

In Texas Weather Problems - Best Practices

Hi there,

I am in Texas and fairly new to Upwork.  Most of the jobs I have are flexible.  We just got power back, cellular/Wi-Fi is still an issue and I have a deadline that can't be made.  I don't want to ruin my reputation and am wondering what Upwork may be able to assist me with.  I'd like to repay the one milestone and forgo the contract so that I am not placing myself, or the client in an even worse situation.  I am still dealing with issues at home (food supply, pipes, and other damage).

Is there a possible solution where my rating is not going to suffer at this point, as it may already?  

5 REPLIES 5
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Since you know that your client is facing an urgent deadline, your focus should be on helping them, not contacting Upwork and worrying about your feedback. You should message your client right away to explain the situation and do whatever you can to help them transition to another freelancer. People are aware of the situation in Texas, so - assuming that your client isn't a total monster - they'll be understanding.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dominique,

Thank you for reaching out to us with this question in the Communuty. We do understand the ordeal you went through and the challenges you continue to face. We are here for you.

Regarding your contract, I'd advise you to first communicate with your client and discuss extending the deadline for completing their job. If that's not possible you can propose ending the contract and discuss any additional action you'd like to take, like the ones you mentioned. In an event you decide to not continue and close the contract, with issuing a full refund, the contract won't be displayed on your profile but could affect your Job Success Score if your client leaves private feedback.

I understand your concern but would suggest talking with your client first, as they are aware of the predicament you're in and might likely agree to an amicable solution that works for both of you. Keep us posted and do let us know if you have questions or need further assistance.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Dominique H wrote:

Hi there,

I am in Texas and fairly new to Upwork.  Most of the jobs I have are flexible.  We just got power back, cellular/Wi-Fi is still an issue and I have a deadline that can't be made.  I don't want to ruin my reputation and am wondering what Upwork may be able to assist me with.  I'd like to repay the one milestone and forgo the contract so that I am not placing myself, or the client in an even worse situation.  I am still dealing with issues at home (food supply, pipes, and other damage).

Is there a possible solution where my rating is not going to suffer at this point, as it may already?  

No reasonable person will blame you for the weather. Talk to your client. It might be a bit annoying if he has a hard deadline, but maybe that's not even the case. This does not have to have a bad outcome. Good luck with your repairs and stuff!

I had no power or wi-fi for almost a week after Hurricane Zeta and two weeks later, I again lost wi-fi for three days.  My clients were incredibly understanding.  I always let them know in advance that there might be problems and tried to keep in contact with my cell phone during the outage.

ce77c3ce
Community Member

Nice

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members