🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » In the proposal or in message, Can I use link...
Page options
vinod111
Community Member

In the proposal or in message, Can I use link of my personal website created on "Wix.Edited"?

Hello,

I am well aware that it's against TOS to include website link on profile so I am not talking about this. My concern is, I have my personal website created on "Wix.com" to show all of my portfolios at one place and now I just want to confirm that can I use a link of this website created on "Wix.Edited" in the proposal or during chatting with the client on Upwork message? .This website doesn't have the contact page as I know the TOS. 

It would be good if any Upwork official or Senior member will answer this topic.

Thanks,

Vinod

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Vinod,

Once again I apologize about the whole confusion.
To make it simple and clear, yes you can share your wix website with your clients in proposals or messages. If you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vinod,

Violation of our TOS is sharing a portfolio website with direct contact information. As long as the website does not have any direct contact information included you can share it with your clients. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Hi Vinod,

Violation of our TOS is sharing a portfolio website with direct contact information. As long as the website does not have any direct contact information included you can share it with your clients. Thank you.

Thanks Goran for the reply. Actually, I don't have direct contact information. previously I have added contact page on my website and through that page, I was directing a user to my upwork profile. I wasn't sure if that could be allowed or not so later I decided to remove that page as well so now my website doesn't have any contact information. My intention to create this website just to show all portfolio in one place. 

Goran V wrote:

Hi Vinod,

Violation of our TOS is sharing a portfolio website with direct contact information.

This is not true. It is allowed to share portfolio pages / external sites etc with contact info via messages and proposals, but not on one's profile, unless this has recently changed.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Petra,

I`m sorry about the confusion.

I meant that websites with contact information are not allowed not that freelancers are not allowed to include them in their messages or proposals. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

I meant that websites with contact information are not allowed not that freelancers are not allowed to include them in their messages or proposals.

?

Vinod asked if he can share his website in messages or proposals. He can, even if the website has contact info on them, which he said it doesn't.

On the profile it would be allowed, as long as there is no contact info.

Goran V wrote:

Hi Petra,

I`m sorry about the confusion.

I meant that websites with contact information are not allowed not that freelancers are not allowed to include them in their messages or proposals. Thank you.

Sorry, Goran but its really confusing. I did read past topic similar to this where I haven't clearly understood it and decided to create a new topic. But it seems like this topic is still in the confusion.

Let me make it simple, Nowadays in the job post client asking for portfolio link to see a bunch of past work. That's why I wanted to use my personal website which doesn't have any contact info on it and specially designed to showcase the only portfolio. Before starting using my website link I just want to be sure that it's allowed to share the link in the proposal and while talking with a client on Upwork message system.

Hi Vinod,

Once again I apologize about the whole confusion.
To make it simple and clear, yes you can share your wix website with your clients in proposals or messages. If you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran, Now it's clear to me. No further questions.

Can I share a link to an external porfolio website with no personal contact information in my profile?

I understand I can include this link in my proposal. But how about in my profile?

petra_r
Community Member

Vinod M wrote:

I just want to be sure that it's allowed to share the link in the proposal and while talking with a client on Upwork message system.

Yes, it is.

vinod111
Community Member

Thanks Petra for giving attention to this topic as well as thank you for the answers.

I noticed that when I write a proposal if I were to type a phone number or write the word "phone" in my message, to the potential client, Upwork auto-highlights these words/numbers in bright yellow to **bleep** it as being against Upwork policy and in an effort to prompt the writer to remove it from the proposal.

However, if I were to type my web site address or LinkedIn Profile URL into the message or proposal, it does not get yellow-highlighted/flagged by Upwork.

Kindly clarify (again)... can I (or can I not) include my website link in my proposal and in my Upwork messaging to my potential client, even if my website has my personal contact info on the home page? I would ensure, of course, that all communication between myself and this potential client continues solely through the Upwork communication/messaging system, and never externally. 

With appreciation,

Jonathan

Jonathan Levey

Jonathan L wrote:

Kindly clarify (again)... can I (or can I not) include my website link in my proposal and in my Upwork messaging to my potential client, even if my website has my personal contact info on the home page?

No, you can't. It used to be allowed, but it no longer is.

Read this very carefully

Hi Jonathan,

Sharing of social media accounts or handles is not allowed before a contract is started. Please know that you can share links to external portfolios/websites when you submit a proposal. We understand external portfolios may include contact information, it is still fine to share these, though please make sure to ask the client to only contact you via Upwork. You may check these great topics in our Resource Corner to help you create proposals that win jobs:

Let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths