Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate fees in job postings

moor3d
Nathan M Member Since: Jan 16, 2017
1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I've been on upwork since the start of the year, and I have been applying for many freelance contracts with varying success. There's something that is really irking me with alot of job postings I see, and that is inaccurate pricing on contracts.

I just had an interview with a client who posted a full time 3D modelling workload workload with a $5000 budget. He then told me that the rate was $30 per 3D model completed, which based on my time estimates would work out ot be around $30 a day max ($24 after the upwork service fee). There is a huge discrepency there, and if the client has posted the work was $30 per model in the job posting (or an hourly rate) I would have ignored the posting completely.

Aside from the time it takes to apply for all these contracts, out connects do have a monetary value assigned to them (a small amount since they're free, but they DO have value). Why waste everybody's time by either midleading or leaving out pricing details? I've even started leaving thank you messages at the bottom of my cover letter to clients who leave detailed descriptions in their job postings!

This might be more of a rant than anything, as I doubt anything can be done about this issue. However I thought it was worth bringing up.

Is there anything we can do about this? Can Upwork hold clients more accountable to the prices in their postings?

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 3

Nathan M wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been on upwork since the start of the year, and I have been applying for many freelance contracts with varying success. There's something that is really irking me with alot of job postings I see, and that is inaccurate pricing on contracts.

This is not something new.  In my experience in drafting proposals at the laboratory setting, projected contract estimates must really be high in order to accommodate the fluctuating prices of materials that will be used in the study.

I just had an interview with a client who posted a full time 3D modelling workload workload with a $5000 budget. He then told me that the rate was $30 per 3D model completed, which based on my time estimates would work out ot be around $30 a day max ($24 after the upwork service fee). There is a huge discrepency there, and if the client has posted the work was $30 per model in the job posting (or an hourly rate) I would have ignored the posting completely.

Job posts are merely introductory statements at least for me.  Negotiations have to happen and freelancers like us need to bid according to what we see is fit.

Aside from the time it takes to apply for all these contracts, out connects do have a monetary value assigned to them (a small amount since they're free, but they DO have value). Why waste everybody's time by either midleading or leaving out pricing details? I've even started leaving thank you messages at the bottom of my cover letter to clients who leave detailed descriptions in their job postings!

I agree -- connects have values.

This might be more of a rant than anything, as I doubt anything can be done about this issue. However I thought it was worth bringing up.

Something may be done.  I try to bid whenever I can with the reasonable rate that I can have courage to bring up with a prospective client.

Is there anything we can do about this? Can Upwork hold clients more accountable to the prices in their postings?

Job posts do not rob us of our freedom to state how we are supposed to be worthy, Nathan.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
3 of 3

I've had this happen too. At least in my case, it was clearly deliberate to get people to apply and then try to hook them into working for less.

Upwork CS wouldn't do anything.

In general, IME, Upwork doesn't care about client misbehavior and will ignore complaints about it. While it is true that in general a listing is just the opening to negotation, some of these are flatly fraudulent and nothing is done about them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS