Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Inactive Clients - post project and forgets about it

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Pallavi S Member Since: Jun 7, 2020
1 of 30

Hi,

Many a times it has happened that, I applied to a project with many others but days pass by and there is no activity from the client, so i want to know is it just freelancers who are at loss (in terms of connects) or the clients also pay in some way?
I feel the client post jobs and then forgets about it. 
I suggest Upwork should make some changes and we should get our connects back of the jobs that gets expired due to inactivity from clients.

Thanks,

Pallavi

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
2 of 30

Hi Pallavi,

We understand some clients unfortunately will post jobs, never hire and never close their jobs. We know this is frustrating and we will continue to reach out to clients to encourage them to hire or remove their job. We do, of course, also recommend you closely review the client’s details, such as past hire rate, to help you decide whether to use Connects to submit a proposal for a project. To learn more about what you should be looking for in a job post, please check out this article

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
David M Member Since: Jul 12, 2015
3 of 30

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Pallavi,

We understand some clients unfortunately will post jobs, never hire and never close their jobs. We know this is frustrating and we will continue to reach out to clients to encourage them to hire or remove their job. We do, of course, also recommend you closely review the client’s details, such as past hire rate, to help you decide whether to use Connects to submit a proposal for a project. To learn more about what you should be looking for in a job post, please check out this article

Thank you!

Please could you show us an example of the exact messaging you send to clients?

Also how often this messaging is sent and what happens when the client continues posting and then vanishes?

This policy isn't equitable - 50 applications to a job, nobody get's it, client pays nothing, you guys make up to 300 connects ($45) - and that's just tough luck on all the applicants?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
4 of 30

and that's just tough luck on all the applicants?

Yes. 

But there is a trial system in place to refund connects for applications where the client hires nobody. As mentioned above, there is also a way that you can mitigate the risk. Such as checking the client's profile and avoiding those with a history of not recruiting. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
David M Member Since: Jul 12, 2015
5 of 30

Jamie F wrote:

Yes. 

But there is a trial system in place to refund connects for applications where the client hires nobody. As mentioned above, there is also a way that you can mitigate the risk. Such as checking the client's profile and avoiding those with a history of not recruiting. 

The trial system ended a month ago and the community is awaiting statistics on how that went.

I have several examples of clients with 100% hiring rate and a long history on Upwork also ignoring applications.

I wouldn't waste 6 connects on a client with less than 75% but sometimes you take a risk and it pays off.

My problem is with Upwork taking connects on unresponsive clients (regardless of their history).

Upwork have admitted that this is a new unexpected income stream and I'm sure they're not that keen to do away with it, but at what expense?

Surely irritating the majority of freelancers is not the best way forward?

Clients are not informed that the 50 applicants collectively spent sometimes more than their job is worth as it's not in the interests of Upwork to be transparent about that.

The clients I've explained this to very quickly responded to all applicants and either made the job private to stop the applications coming in, or hired quickly.

My issue is the communication to the clients about how the connects system works.

I don't believe ANYTHING is explained to them either while they're setting up a job, or after, but maybe I can be shown this is not the case?  I'm guessing it will be crickets as usual.

In fact once they've posted a job they get an email asking them to invite more applicants and choosing some who are trending according to algorithms, thereby favoring the many farmers on the platform.

The farmer issue is similar to connects, but again, why would Upwork deal with farmers claiming they do the work themselves (not informing clients they're actually outsourcing) when they can make so much money simply by having more jobs posted and hence more connects utilized?

I've reported several farmers and nothing is ever done about them.

All I'm suggesting is some transparency in communication, inform clients exactly how connects work, using the fancy blue radio icons to bring it to their attention while they're posting a job.

Mods, please add this as a future upgrade if you care about the community.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
6 of 30
I too agree, it should be added or connects should be refunded, when client does not hire or job are closed due to inactivity.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
7 of 30

Jamie F wrote:

Yes. 

That trial is over.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
8 of 30
It should start again.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
9 of 30

Martina P wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

Yes. 

That trial is over.

Ah, I didn't know that - I've not been applying for jobs recently. 

I wonder if they intend to put it into practice. It seemed to me like a reasonable attempt to try and address the problem. Not that I know any of the stats/details. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
10 of 30

Jamie F wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

Yes. 

That trial is over.

Ah, I didn't know that - I've not been applying for jobs recently. 

I wonder if they intend to put it into practice. It seemed to me like a reasonable attempt to try and address the problem. Not that I know any of the stats/details. 

We'll see what the outcome is. No, correction, we wont. Smiley Wink

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS