🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Inactive clients destroyed my Job Succes Scor...
Page options
ricardoreinholt
Community Member

Inactive clients destroyed my Job Succes Score (JSS) - and my Top Ranked Badge

I lost my possibilty to get Top Ranked Badge a couple a months ago - just one week before I was going to be awarded. 

The reason? 

After restarting my account Juli 2019 after 2-3 years of break, I still had two old clients with contracts started back in 2013. Both clients are totally inactive today and do no respond to my messages about feedback. Therefore I contacted Upwork Help Center asking what to do. They told me to close the contracts otherwise they would affect my Job Succes Score (JSS).

Result? My Job Succes Score wen't down. 

Though I kept on working, doing everything I could to obtain a JSS above the magic 90%. On my way I had a client who needed me to handle a small translation for him. I handled it the same night and he replyed by chatmessage saying he was very happy. Just after he needed one more and opended yet another contract, so I did. After the payment he stopped answering my messages but without closing the contract - leaving me without any feedback. AGAIN! 

I contacted the Upwork Help Center explaning my story.

What they said?
"There is nothing to do. The contract will affect you no mather what - it's just about timing".

Result: I have ended up with a Job Succes Score on 84%, which happended just ONE WEEK BEFORE I would obtain Top Ranked Badge. 

All this eventhough my "Clients who would recommend you"-score is 94% (See attathcment)

Are there anything I can do beside of waiting what could be up to 5-6 months to get that Top Ranked Badge?

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Andreas H wrote:

IInactive clients destroyed my Job Succes Score (JSS) - and my Top Ranked Badge

No, they didn't.

The two old jobs from 2015 weren't what caused the drop in JSS.

JSS only takes into account contracts ended in the last 24 months, so your overall private feedback (The "Clients who would recommend" percentage) rating isn't relevant, as that's across the lifetime of your profile and does not update after every contract anyway.

You must have had contracts that either ended with poor private feedback and / or never had any earnings (closed, or open for a long time (months))

"No feedback" contracts only have any impact if they make up a significant part of your contracts in your calculation window(s), and that is not the case with your profile.

Not True. All this happened at the same periode as I was closing the old
contracts. They are counting as they are closed within the last 24 months.
Furthermore the newest two contracts resulted in that a "significant part
of my contracts" was "no feedback". All this has been informed by Upwork
Help Center.

So your answer is no good.

Andreas H wrote:
So your answer is no good.

You are entitled to believe what you like.

I can show you a profile with over 80% "No feedback" contracts in all calculation windows and a 100% JSS.

Please look at what you wrote yourself. "JSS only take into account
contract ended in the last 24 months". As I wrote in my previous post, I
closed two old contracts six months ago. Which means that the contact do
count, as they were closed within the last 24 months.

So your answer was no good.

Andreas H wrote:
Please look at what you wrote yourself. "JSS only take into account
contract ended in the last 24 months". As I wrote in my previous post, I
closed two old contracts six months ago. Which means that the contact do
count, as they were closed within the last 24 months.

I explained the 24 month window to show why your "Clients who would recommend" percentage is higher than your JSS.

Yes, those 2 contracts ended in the last 24 months, but they are not the reason for your JSS being what it is, because contracts with money paid previously do not hurt your JSS generally, and you have way too many closed contracts with feedback in your calculation windows for those to have a negative effect.

Andreas H wrote:
So your answer was no good.

Feel free to keep telling yourself that..

Feel free to keep thinking your messages are helping. But they just don't.

As you wrote just yourself this time "money paid previously do no hurt you
JSS generally...". This time it did, I tell you - and Upwork Help Center
tells me the same (which I wrote to you just before). This case is NOT
generally!

So could you stop replying with your **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you in advance.

Furthermore you said nothing clear about you were answering the "clients who would reccommend you"-question, which is not the main question. But it was a wise way, trying to save your incorrect answer.

Andreas H wrote:

Furthermore you said nothing clear about you were answering the "clients who would reccommend you"-question, which is not the main question. But it was a wise way, trying to save your incorrect answer.

It would seem that regardless of the cause, your JSS will be what it is until it isn't. So, there is no "solution." You accept how Upwork's system ranks freelancers or you do not. The system is unlikely to change. 

The two less than 5-star ratings in Q4 of 2019 are probably what has drawn down your score. Your two most recent ratings may help bring that score back up. But given the total number of reviews that you have, I find it highly unlikely that two no-review contracts have had any impact at all. 

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

I'd like to note that we took action on this thread in terms of ensuring the conversation is in line with Community Guidelines and would like to ask you to keep them in mind in your future posts. 

Andreas, I understand that you might not agree with the information other users share and while we'll keep the thread open so others can share their opinion, we'd like to ask you to remain respectful towards other users when discussing information you may not agree with. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members