taish0

Inactive contracts affecting my JSS - suggestion

At the moment, as most of us know, jobs opened for a long time without any payment will cause our JSS drop. The same goes for contracts which we end, instead of Client. It means that Client's sloppiness and unrespinsiveness will affect us negatively.

I had some brilliant Clients, who reviewed my work and paid in a blink of an eye, but informing them about the need of closing the contract if they don't wish to give me another assignment, is like ramming the wall with my head - no reaction. Should I spam them with another messages that they need to close the contract? Is this what Upwork wants?

As a freelancer I have really many concerns, project, tax or law related. It's really unfortunate that another things comes up, one which I am not even able to do anything about.

Here is my suggestion for Upwork:

1. Set a maximum time of inactivity for contract.

2. Automatically close the contract after this period, without punishment for any of the sides and send a notification about it, encouraging to post feedback. Even message sent would be an activity, to make sure not to shut the project when something is being done.

This way you can kill 3 birds with one stone:

1. Freelancer happy about not losing JSS, less bureaucracy, and getting rid of a doubtful pleasure to contact Clients with "Hey, You haven't finished the paperwork with the contract!".

2. Clients are not put in the position, that freelancers tell them that they "didn't do something" with a contract and possibly that they will lose JSS because of this.

3. Upwork can get rid of inactive contracts a way better than currently.

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
aiyana-ward

I'm afraid what you say just makes too much sense, friend. That would be too much like progress, and we can't have that on Upwork.

Joking aside, I've long suspected practices like this are to pad marketing numbers. "Upwork has 5 MILLION active contracts at any given time." "Upwork employs 10 MILLION freelancers every year!" I bet shareholders also like these sort of bloated figures. In reality, many of those contracts are inactive. I was actually clearing out my contracts today with the ol', "Would you like to continue working together or should we close this inactive contract?" to 3 or 4 clients who had been inactive for months. My heart almost stopped when one of them actually replied. 

@Aiyana W wrote:

I'm afraid what you say just makes too much sense, friend. That would be too much like progress, and we can't have that on Upwork.

Joking aside, I've long suspected practices like this are to pad marketing numbers. "Upwork has 5 MILLION active contracts at any given time." "Upwork employs 10 MILLION freelancers every year!" I bet shareholders also like these sort of bloated figures. In reality, many of those contracts are inactive. I was actually clearing out my contracts today with the ol', "Would you like to continue working together or should we close this inactive contract?" to 3 or 4 clients who had been inactive for months. My heart almost stopped when one of them actually replied. 

I recently did the same and got two replies. One of them was kind enough to close the contract, and the other said that they will have something for me. When? I've no idea, but I don't want to pester him. 

Upwork really doesn't care.

You've actually quite hit on the problem. Many times, I contact inactive clients and they say something like, "I don't have time or money for another milestone right NOW, but sometime SOON I'll need more work. Let's keep the contract open."

As a freelancer, you don't want to turn down the opportunity for more work, nor do you want to insult your client by insisting they close the contract. You're also afraid that if you were to close the contract, it would be too difficult for that client to find you again "soon" and they would choose another freelancer out of convenience. You're forced to keep the contract, which works against your JSS.

Upwork can keep their padded numbers and I'll keep my low-activity clients on the back burner, but they should really consider not penalizing us for the pleasure. Or they could give me the option to claim a retainer lol

@Aiyana W wrote:

You've actually quite hit on the problem. Many times, I contact inactive clients and they say something like, "I don't have time or money for another milestone right NOW, but sometime SOON I'll need more work. Let's keep the contract open."

As a freelancer, you don't want to turn down the opportunity for more work, nor do you want to insult your client by insisting they close the contract. You're also afraid that if you were to close the contract, it would be too difficult for that client to find you again "soon" and they would choose another freelancer out of convenience. You're forced to keep the contract, which works against your JSS.

Upwork can keep their padded numbers and I'll keep my low-activity clients on the back burner, but they should really consider not penalizing us for the pleasure. Or they could give me the option to claim a retainer lol

For those very reasons, I hate that inactive contracts can count against you. Knowing if a client wants more work done that they can find you with ease is a benefit, one that actually not getting a rating on the project is often worth it. It's also much easier to start a new project with them when you don't have to go through the steps of creating a new project especially on hourly contracts, they can just send an email telling you what they need done and reactivate the project and you can get to work