Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inactive contracts where clients are unresponsive or don't want to end contract

rxqm
Ace Contributor
Xiaoqing Claire R Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
1 of 7

I have 7 inactive contracts: 3 where clients are unresponsive, 4 where clients don't want to close the contracts and keep saying there will be more work coming but it never comes. I don't want inactive contracts to negatively affect my JSS, but I don't want to close those contract myself to cause bad feedback or no feedback, which also negatively affect my JSS. I haven't done many jobs yet, so bad/no feedback on this many contracts may be a big hit on my JSS. I'm not sure what to do.

I just don't think it makes sense for Upwork to let inactively contracts negatively affect freelancers' JSS. Sure, some clients leave contracts open without asking for more work because they are not happy with the freelancers' work, but there are other scenarios too. Most often in my case, the clients left it open in case there is more work and simply forgot about it after a while without new work coming up, they can be very happy with my work and still cause inactive contracts, but Upwork just cookie-cutter it and hit my JSS. And Upwork won't tell me the time frame where inactivity starts to have negative impact, so how am I supposed to balance it by finding the right time to ask clients to end contract, or end it myself if client unresponsive or don't want to end it? And why do I even have to spend so much energy guessing what's the right course of action, just because Upwork can't make their policy fair and transparent?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 7

Just close the contracts. Upwork isn't going to change their policy to suit your needs. 

rxqm
Ace Contributor
3 of 7

I posted here because I believe it's not just my need and there are probably many other freelancers having similar complaints. I won't be surprised if Upwork won't change it soon, but the more people complain about it, the more likely they'll change it; the more people are willing to "just deal with it", the less likely they'll change it. I've heard a lot of people say just close inactive contracts, but it doesn't mean everyone is happy with it. I'm not happy, and I want my voice heard.

rxqm
Ace Contributor
4 of 7

I guess the primary reason I want this to change is that it doesn't make sense to me, whether I'm happy or not is secondary. I've heard suggestions like "contact client" and "close the contract" many times. But what I really want is a discussion on the logic behind a policy like this and whether it makes sense to everyone, if not, probably time to change.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
5 of 7

The only thing you can do is to message each of those clients who have not closed their job with something  like

Hi XX. It was a pleasure working with you. I would appreciate it, if you could close the contract. I understand that  you may have more work in the future and I would be happy to complete that work for you when that time comes. Just click on the hire button when you are ready. Leaving a job open without activity negatively impacts my Job Success Score and that in turn hinders my ability in obtaining work from other clients. Thank you for your cooperation.

At that point wait a few days for a reply. If none, then you'll have to close those contract yourself. if/when you do, don't close them all at once. Just close one or two after you've completed other jobs.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 7

Upwork's position is that a *pattern* of jobs with no feedback indicates poor client and contract management, and as a client I tend to agree. This is why JSS is negatively impacted if a freelancer has a *pattern* of jobs with no feedback.

There is more to being a successful freelancer on Upwork than just winning a job and delivering the finished product. Client and contract management is an important skill for all freelancers. It starts before you even bid on a job (does the client have a great history of feedback, both given and received) and doesn't end after you have delivered the finished product.

rxqm
Ace Contributor
7 of 7

Thought of some suggestions to address this problem: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Suggestions-for-Upwork-policy-on-feedback-and-JSS/m-p/37...

For now I'm considering closing inactive contracts one at a time after new contracts with positive feedback show up on my profile.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS